How long have you had sz or psychosis? Is there hope for recovery?

There is no hope

I was diagnosed with psychotic depression then sz a few years later. That was 15ish years ago. Symptoms started a bit before that. I think it depends what you mean by recovery as to whether itā€™s possible or not.

I started hearing voices 9 years ago got diagnosed at 22 after a complete psychotic break. Since my diagnosis I have taken antipsychotics everyday. I never took drugs the most Iā€™ve taken is a sip of beer once and a couple occassional sips of wine at communion when at communion. Iā€™ve made sure to stay away from drugs, regularly see my psychologist and psychiatrist, pray, push myself continually to do more. Iā€™ve done a lot since my diagnosis and only heard voices for a little bit while on antipsychotics so I upped my dose of abilify from 30mg a day to 40mg a day. At this point Iā€™m 28 years old and in less than a year Iā€™ll be graduating with a bachelors degree (finally) and start my job that I already have lined up after I graduate. Itā€™s been a long road but Iā€™m starting to have hope for a normal life. It helps to continually push yourself but with baby steps. I think I dropped iq points and donā€™t have nearly as much energy as I used to but Iā€™m aiming to eventually be independent. It helped to go to a university that was within driving distance from my parents home so I could live with them instead of roommates or completely on my own.

3 Likes

I had sza for at least 16 years. Was diagnosed at 18 years and Iā€™m 34 now. Itā€™s been on and off for that long

I went into remission after my first episode (and 4 hospital stays) but five years later I had a relapse and had to go on meds again. Been up and down since then and 5 more times in hospital.

At the moment Iā€™m doing much better.

1 Like

I have had sza since 1984 or that was when I was diagnosed. I went 35 years between hospitalizations by never skipping my AP. Right now I donā€™t hear voices or have delusions. I am taking a lower dose, but total recovery is not going to happen.

Iā€™m a lot better. Iā€™m so much better now compared to what I used to be that I donā€™t think anyone can believe my description of how I used to be. And Iā€™m continuing to progress, soā€¦:slight_smile:

1 Like

I was told that I had a poor prognosis and would not achieve anything meaningful with my life. That I would have to consign myself to a life of ā€œmanaged livingā€. That was twenty-five years ago and Iā€™m kicking ass. I enjoy my life, have a family, a career, good friends, and fun hobbies.

Thereā€™s always hope, but itā€™s mostly reserved for those willing to follow medical direction and put effort into their recovery. Those who wait for recovery to magically appear are usually a miserable and disappointed lot.

3 Likes

You have succeeded in giving me hope! I will try to put in the effort.

1 Like

R u from Saskatoon. Im from p.a.

Iā€™ve been diagnosed sza in August of 2009. I was 21 years old

Iā€™ve suffered with schizophrenia and bipolar since I was a kid, but I was first diagnosed when I was 20 years old, I am now 54 years old.

There is always hope, never give up.

New meds are on the way.

2 Likes

@reignoverme Iā€™m not from saskatoon. I couldnā€™t think of a name so I did saskatchewan + saskatoon = skatchetoon lol. I thought it sounded funny. Iā€™m from neither of those places. Iā€™m from Minnesota. Perhaps a lot of people will ask me this.

Yes there is hope. The answer is to not only take your meds as prescribed but to also take your health into your own hands. Be proactive with your health. Start doing all the things that are necessary to get better. Like eat nutritious, home cooked meals, get enough sleep every night, exercise every day at something you love doing, develop enjoyable hobbies that fascinate you, get a pet, if you are interested, learn a foreign language or learn how to play a musical instrument, spend more quality time with loved ones, etcā€¦etcā€¦

Iā€™ve had sza for 36 years and these things, that Iā€™ve developed, are all helping me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.