How long did your prodromal phase last?

a rough estimate. I believe mine lasted up to 4 years, with depression-like symptoms.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed with psychotic depression 6 years before the sz diagnosis. It went from medicated and well managed to off meds and almost immediately into the hospital with an sz diagnosis a few weeks/months later.

So, 6 years? No prodromal? Maybe it was the 7 years between my first visual hallucinations until I was diagnosed with psychotic depression?

Mine was two years, was 14 psychotic by 16 but that was with multiple traumas. But I went to services with depression and anxiety, I was unwell and suicidal just beginning to get delusions but didn’t become acutely psychotic for another year

That’s a tough one. My prodromal phase was concurrent with substance abuse issues, so it’s really hard to say.

Only about 4-5 months. Prior to the onset, I had run of the mill bad days (depression or some anxiety) but looking back I only started experiencing some delusions or confused thoughts within 6 months of having a psychotic break where I went down hill fast in the matter of about a week.

2 Likes

Like a year for me. I was stressed at the time.

2 Likes

About a year. I had really bad anxiety that I was able to mostly ignore. Then I went through a manic phase (during which I thought I was recovering from said anxiety, I felt so good) which spiralled into full-on psychosis which started off kinda positive with feelings of euphoria then became horrific and ended with me thinking I was Satan.

2 Likes

3 years. It started off with me just obsessing about mbti personalities. That turned into people with certain personalities having special powers lol! Man I’m starting to see a lot of young people these days with sz or sza and see them be high functioning and rebound in life. It is inspiring. I wonder why. It is almost always the young ones who come to support group and day treatment and leave it feeling strong and back on their dreams of working at Disney for example.

3 Likes

Ohh I also obsessed over the MBTI!
I thought I was finally figuring out my true personality. Nope, I was just coming down with a mental illness lol.

2 Likes

Did you join the mbti forums? I spent so much time studying people on there to this day I can sometimes believe I know what someone’s personality is by a short conversation. It is annoying! Didn’t know it was a sz thing! So ridiculous!

2 Likes

I did! :open_mouth:
I thought I could type people accurately despite knowing little about them, too.

When I took the test years ago I got that I was a sensing type. I didn’t care all that much.
When I got back into the MBTI when I was psychotic or getting there I came to the conclusion that I was actually an intuitive type and that made me special. Lol

2 Likes

Mine was about 3 years

1 Like

What is MBTI? 1515151515151

1 Like

What were your first visual hallucinations?

1 Like

I saw a man watching me through my bedroom window when I was 11.

Technically I had hallucinations since I was 5-7ish, don’t remember exactly. I would see these small grey fuzzy creature things. I’ve always seen them and still do. But I don’t really count those because I’m still not convinced they’re not real or just imaginary friends or something.

3 Likes

Fucking years…the residual phase is honestly where I am at when I’m not psychotic.) Depression and manic like symptoms were in my prodromal phase and it was agony. Was brought on by a lot of stress and adversity at home.

1 Like

I started to be depressed and very very slowly psychotic at 13. So I guess 9 Years until I was diagnosed with SZ at 22.

1 Like

Mine hit me all at once. I went from normal to completely psychotic in about 3 days.

1 Like

Like a year, but my grasp of time passage was poor, as was my memory, so it could have been longer.

I should probably journal more, all the days are blending together.

1 Like

I was diagnosed at age 19. When I was in my twenties my mom told me she thought something was wrong with me in high school but she didn’t know what it was.

1 Like