How long did it take you to find the right meds

Taken me about 10 years on/off and only recently this year, switching to Clozapine and Prozac after i fell off the wagon recently have I started to feel like the meds are actually working more than what the others did. The old meds might have helped me 25 % which wasnt enough !!

I feel like these meds im on now have done like 60 % well on me and improving on the weekly !

I wish i had just gone on these meds from the start.

How long did it take you to find the right meds

6 Likes

Long story short: 5 years

1 Like

About 20 years…

1 Like

Only been on 2, but abilify has been doing really good for me. I was on risperidone for 2 years because i didnt say how bad it was making my life.

2 Likes

Still working on it, risperidone only partially helped, I don’t know how well the latuda is working. I haven’t tried many yet

1 Like

I have been on 6 meds, and on them full time for 7 years. I can honestly say the best to date has been Amisulpride, which I started last July.

1 Like

Ten years to find Geodon, and then another two years to adjust the dose for optimal performance and minimal side effects.

1 Like

If you count keeping up with the progression of my disease from depression to bp to sza then it was 20 years. If you count how long it took me to get on the right ap after I started hallucinating 3 weeks

1 Like

From the very beginning to the end? 29 years!

1 Like

still working things out, olanzapine worked well for me but couldnt stay on it because of side effects, invega seems to be working well and not as bad with side effects, im hoping this is the last med i will be on because i first started taking meds 3 years ago

1 Like

6-9 months. Then I stayed on them through thick and thin. They got messed up one time and I found a very good pdoc with Kaiser that I got from work. He straightened me out and I persevered for 2 years and it worked out. A new one- 2nd generation. Been fairly stable on it and with God and all, I’m hangin’ as you kids say.

1 Like

I have been only risperidal and invega …both were good but invega is better side effect wise …risperidal stop working on me on the third relapse so invega was introduced.

1 Like

Recovery isn’t linear. But for now my hallucinations are gone since Friday. Kinda lame, ha.

3 Likes

i was taking risperidal from 2003-2010 but i was pretty out of it, it was a bad med bc it did take the edge off my positive symptoms but everything else was pants, negative symptoms were really bad, side effects were horrible, i basically had no life, was dead inside.

been taking Amisulpride 2010- now and its been amazing, only thing i havent shook is the stress/anxiety but i’ve been making slow progress and still not ruling out full recovery.

I dont want the dr’s to think that the best i can hope for is to manage my illness, i hope they havent ruled out complete recovery which is my highest goal in life.

2 Likes

It’s been 5 years. Still looking…

1 Like

It took me seven years and three other meds before I landed back on Zyprexa, which I also took back in 1996-97. I had a remission in between there.

1 Like

21 years and too many doctors.

1 Like

A couple of years I’d say.

1 Like

Took me 7 years to find the right combo. I am now stable. Before that I was very bad off. I got sick in 2008 and I started my current med regimen with Geodon and Latuda in 2015.

Since I have been stable I have gone back to school and gotten a 3rd college degree and now I have gone back to work. I wish I were a lot better mind you but being stable is nice. There is hope.

2 Likes

It took me 4 years. I’ve tried a LOT of meds in that time. I’m currently on depakote, rexulti and armodafinil and am fully functional with no side effects and minimal to nonexistent symptoms.

2 Likes