How does your social anxiety manifest itself?

For me, when I am talking to people I get the feeling that I am going to freeze up. Also, I start worrying about them thinking about my looks and I get really distracted. I only really feel comfortable with people who knew me before the illness and friends I had whilst I was psychotic. I feel so stupid sometimes for not being able to make it work with people I dont know.

I kind of told myself that I would just take a break from trying to overcome mental illness after I got over sz, but now I kind of want to feel comfortable around new people and get on with my life.

I worry a lot about my “smell” if they are near, I prefer to keep my distance. Nowadays I shower and clean my clothes frequently but there were moments I didn´t. I still worry

I worry about having almost same clothes two days in a row.

I worry about beeing monothematic about music, because it´s the only topic that I enjoy talking about, even if it´s with musicians.

1 Like

Mostly i am shaking but i started to breath deeper inhale for 3sec and exhale for 7 sec thats helps…

1 Like

I dont use breathing techniques, there is kind of mixed information on the studies. Aparently doing it helps, but if you do it all the time, you connect breathing with anxiety, and it can actually end up triggering it instead of helping.

I literally just did this in town. It doesnt really make sense though, because I shower every day.

1 Like

I don’t know if I have social anxiety bcz I never go out of my house. I am ok with my parents.

1 Like

Huh i didnt know that
But i am not doing it all the time so its fine

1 Like

When I’m in public if someone talks to me sometimes I freeze up, other times I’ll try to have a simple small talk and think I’m hearing beyond what they’re saying, like people are trying to relay secret messages. Groups of people freak me out. Sometimes I’m fine, I try to go out if I do at all, very early or late so I avoid people, but at night I get afraid easily.

2 Likes

I feel your angst on this one. I termed it as being in deep waters, feeling like I’m going under when trying to forge new acquaintances. Panic sets in and fight/ flight kicks in, soon I’m up to my nose in it. PTSD is somewhere in the mix.

My best advice is hang in there. Listen for verbal cues. Stay present. Give compliments. Reach down deep for something funny, could be self-deprecating. I once told in passing a group of acquaintances I was a drug addict. They all laughed. Remember It isn’t the end of the world if someone doesn’t like you or respond to you favorably. Maybe they’re thinking along the same vein.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.