How do you, personally, know when you're about get bad again?

Hi! :blush:
I’m new to this forum and I’ve got a question because I’m a bit confused concerning myself.

What are some warning signs that you experience when you’re about to head into an active phase of psychosis? Do you experience any physical sensations that is telling you a relapse is on its way? Or is it more of a mental way of knowing? Do you notice something different in your behaviour? Or do you even know at all?

I basically just want to know the most significant signs you get before a full blown psychosis and when you know you need to seek professional help.
I haven’t completely figured out my own warning signs yet. I’m currently off my anti psychotic medication. I used to take Abilify 20 mg for about two and a half years, but I figured it didn’t help at all, so I quit taking them. My doctor is aware of this, but hasn’t put me on any other anti psychotics as of yet.

Thank you. :sunny:

1 Like

When my thinking gets really disorganized. Where everything seems hazy. Then the thoughts and depression start coming in

1 Like

I sleep less and get obsessive with off the wall things/ideas. Sometimes hallucinations get worse first, but that happens often enough it’s not really a reliable sign.

2 Likes
  • I start to feel more tired and stressed out
  • My voices get stronger, and fighting them makes me tired and gives me a headache.
  • I get restless and anxious
  • I start getting intrusive, controlling thoughts like “Only eat two slices of bread” or “hurt yourself”
  • And finally, things start getting hazy and I get more and more desperate.
1 Like

I don’t sleep then the voices and hallucinations get worse and louder than usual. Then I start to get depressed slowly everything starts falling apart.

1 Like

Nurse and doctors observe your behaviour. But they cannot see everything. Know your illness know yourself you will know

1 Like

I know I’m relapsing when I start getting paranoid. In other words, I start feeling like everyone hates me. Also, when I start hearing continuous mumbling voices or continuous music that never quits. Also, if I start feeling like I don’t want to live anymore and I feel like I should do something active about it. Also if I go 72 hours or more without sleeping is another sign. If I start seeing things that aren’t there is another sign. If I start feeling like I can read people’s minds is another sign. If I start crying in public for no good reason, is another sign. If I start laughing in public for no good reason is another sign.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for your input.

i got put on medicine before having what i would call a full blown psychotic break (i hadnt completely lost insight or touch with reality, but i was heading that way) and ive stayed on my medicine religious since then, but i did have a period where a lot of the paranoia seemed to be coming back and worsening, and right before that the first thing that was off was that i couldnt sleep and my thoughts were racing a lot. i guess thats how it would go if i went off my medicine.

2 Likes

I can feel it (psychosis) in my head before it starts. I have learned to recognize it. I wasn’t always that way though. When I feel it coming on I take my meds and go to sleep.

I could not function without my meds. I would be out of it. I lose my memory and don’t know what I am doing when actively psychotic. And my hallucinating gets really bad.

1 Like

I have schizoaffective disorder, and I am only just learning to recognize the signs that the bipolar aspect of it is acting up. I am not there yet with the sz side of things. I hope to be there someday so that I can get help before I get to a bad point.

1 Like

My sz creeps up unannounced. It’s usually because of med non-compliance - I stop taking meds and I get manic. Feel like I’m on top of the world, eventually ending up in the psych ward. To answer your question, I don’t know when I’m getting bad. Everything synchronizes (the tv and radio start communicating) and I go along with it-- I don’t have the insight that it’s a delusion.

1 Like

I get highly sensitive to any stimulus, and I get irritated easily. I start thinking things are increasingly wrong/bad. I don’t want to interact with anyone (and I’m sure they don’t want to interact with me)
I don’t sleep as much and get up often…racing unsettled thoughts. Then I turn it all on myself…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.