Schizophrenia.com

How did Nash accomplish so much?

I have been wondering, if Nash had cognitive symptoms, and if he did, how did he accomplish so much at the highest level of achievement?

Of course, he was a genius. But, was it persistence, fortune, etc…?

I saw the documentary, “A Brilliant Madness”, and though on-set was late for him, he had it quite severe.

And, did he recover with no symptoms, or had residual symptoms?

3 Likes

Maybe he was just a genius with schizophrenia. If he was diagnosed late , then he would have had time to be a genius.

3 Likes

Yea he was diagnosed with sz at age 31.

2 Likes

But, he quit taking medications. So, consider that his brain was battered by psychosis for years, possibly decades. Yet he did a lot of work in pure mathematics that led to an Abel prize. Sometimes, I wonder whether we can recover from the cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia? I know that positives get milder with age…

1 Like

One of the reasons why he got through it, is because he had a wife. I believe that he had abilities at the same time with negative symptoms. Elyn Sacs is the same way.

That is a good idea, to study John Nash’s life. My father read the book about John Nash, and my father said…he went in and out of mental hospitals…at least 7 times. I think he was successful, so it would be a good idea to study his life.

1 Like

Elyn Sacs would be flattered to be compared to Nash. She is an accomplished person, but Nash had a Nobel and an Abel prize.

2 Likes

Elyn Sacs is a better advocate, than John Nash. I think john Nash is a little more gifted than Sacs…but they are gifted in different subjects. That is correct right?

1 Like

There is a long history of genius and Madness going hand-in-hand. Did Nash not make most of his discoveries before he went off the rails? I’m not really sure

1 Like

Even though Nash won the Nobel Prize and the Abel prize. I think Sacs is more functioning. By the way, what is the Abel prize…I’ve never heard of that. I saw a video of Nash and he seemed to have negative symptoms more than Sacs.

1 Like

It is the foremost prize in Mathematics. Well, after the Fields Medal which is given to people aged under forty.

2 Likes

I’ve wondered if John Nash’s equation worked. The reason why I’ve never heard of anybody using his original equation?

The Nash equilibrium is applied to Economics, Evolutionary Biology, etc…but it is his achievements in higher mathematics which are astounding.

3 Likes

Nash achieved a lot before his schizophrenia took hold in his 30s.

I don’t think that he would of been as successful if he became sick in his early 20s.

And as far as Elyn Sachs goes, she really didn’t suffer from significant negative symptoms.
This is how she became successful.
I read her book.

4 Likes