Hollow Mask Test

So in my endless, futile endeavor to figure out what the hell is wrong with my brain, I have stumbled upon another interesting research finding about schizophrenia.

Apparently research strongly suggests that people with schizophrenia are much more likely to immune to optical illusions, or in other words that they are much more likely to see through an optical illusion than neurotypical people are.

A popular test with this is the hollow mask test. To most neurotypical people, a hollow mask will look convex even when they are really seeing the concave side, whereas schizophrenic people are very likely to be able to see that the mask is concave when they are looking at the concave side.

When I watched the mask rotate, my brain does the optical illusion, making the mask appear convex for a few seconds, even when I am seeing the concave side. According to the research, that would be evidence that I don’t have schizophrenia.

What do you see? And what do you think of this research/theory?

Link: http://www.jeffpolachek.com/areyoutargeted-com/61-ayt-articles/338-ayt-if-you-fail-this-test-you-re-not-schizophrenic

1 Like

Weird.

I like these. But yeah I didn’t see the illusion at first until a few more viewings. Now it’s more apparent. Actually now I can’t unsee the illusion now!

Thanks for sharing this.

I was expecting to see the thing most don’t, but distinctly saw the illusion of the inside of the mask appearing convex. I was surprised because I did one of these, something about black and white shapes of some sort, years ago and was the only person out of a lot of people who saw it differently.

Anyone remember the dress that was all over the news that some saw as one color and others saw as another? That scared the hell out of me. Had thoughts that they were trying to out a certain percentage of the world’s population or something. Ha. It was weird anyway.

Another page I read about it, said that if a person with schizophrenia is responding well to treatment, then they will likely go from being able to see through the illusion, to seeing the illusion, which was also pretty interesting. I know that I have been taking olanzapine the past few days, had some leftover from last year, while I wait to get in with a new pdoc, but that seems awfully early for results.

This thing is really throwing my brain through hoops right now lol.

At the moment I’m thinking that if people are seeing the optical illusion then it is their brains that need help. On the other hand being able to understand what is going on here is another question.

Feel like my brain is leaking. ahhh

Some of them work for me but some don’t. On the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_illusion

Towards the bottom on the right, is an example “The Spinning Dancer” and it claims that she appears to move both clockwise and counter-clockwise at the same time, but my brain only sees her moving clockwise.

You?

Same. Only clockwise.

That one trips me out. I can’t even grasp how it’s possible to see it otherwise.

I asked my niece and says she can see it both ways…

I see the illusion of the hollow mask, but the dancer only turns clockwise to me unless I really concentrate. I can also tickle myself, and I’m told that is a sign of schizophrenia.

Well damn I can tickle myself easily. Now what, I can see the hollow mask illusion and tickle myself Aughfdshkfglskf

Lol gee wiz

1 Like

I saw it. It was very strange looking.

I don’t get it… Its hollow.

Woah! I see this one!
mabey the shadow behind the mask is some sort of give away in the Charlie one?

1 Like

Didn’t think of that, good catch.

Wish I could retain the frame of mind to test this when I am actively symptomatic.

it kind of felt like a hologram to me, i can see it come and go as the back but right when it’s the middle i can see what everyone sees for a bit until the hollowed bit comes back.

Weird website. What’s with the website? Way too many triggers for this paranoid lol

LOL cj, I can also tickle myself since I was little. Where did you read it’s a sign of sz ?!! I’d be most surprised if they came up with such an association. My mom can tickle herself too and she’s perfectly healthy.

If you google the words schizophrenia and tickle, you’ll get dozens of hits. This one is near the top. http://thebrainbank.scienceblog.com/2012/12/24/why-cant-we-tickle-ourselves-but-schizophrenics-can/

1 Like

I admit when you originally mentioned that, I thought you were being sarcastic, then googled it and was like omg.

1 Like

I saw it as hollow. I can’t tickle myself, but other’s can.

She’s only moving clockwise.