Helping my sister get treatment for her severe Schizophrenia

Hello everyone,

I am needing some help with my sister. She is a 39 year old women (lets call her Ellen) who has been in and out of hospitals since she was 16 years old (a lot more recently, than in the past). Ellen is currently living with our other sister (twin sister, let’s call her Jane). Recently, the hospital that Ellen has been admitted to (there were several) were not able to stabilize her condition, both emotionally and mentally. She is still very emotional and sometimes verbally aggressive to other family members but for some reason they keep discharging her with this condition. Only to return after a month (typically). They said it was because of medicare insurance reasons but that doesn’t seem right to me. Ellen’s condition is to a point where Jane does not feel safe with her around because the voices in Ellen’s head are telling her to hurt Jane. Jane is a single parent to a twelve year old girl, she also fears for the safety of her kid. Jane and I love Ellen very much and we want her to get better but it seems like her meds and talk therapy are not doing it for her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So Ellen has Medicare and our family does not have the financial means of getting her the most expensive treatment, so money is an issue for us. Is there anything that we can do to get her long term treatment at a reasonable price? I’ve seen some private programs that are “live-in” treatments but those are so expensive.

Ellen has tried Home Care and Group Home but always ends up running away and back to Jane. She gets extremely paranoid. I’m looking for a treatment program that has a high success rate for severe condition schizophrenia to get stabilized. I understand that it will never go away but we would love for her to be more emotionally under control. Enough to be able to have a part time job and get into hobbies.

Any advice, suggestions, and/or testimonies that helped would be greatly appreciated. I would love for Ellen to get back on her feet and have a meaningful life. Thanks in advance!!!

Hi, I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Ninjastar
Volunteer Moderator

1 Like