Hello There

Hello, I been diagnosed with depression been taking Zoloft which has really helped me with my depressive episodes and irritability. Along with getting back to being more social…dating has been ehhhh difficult, when guys approach me and start up a conversation I let them know before they ask for my social media/contact information that I have depression and I don’t want to drag them down if a relationship ever sparks. I’ve been told ‘Everyone has bad days’ or ‘Depression is nothing’, I know it’s a big bomb to drop onto people but mental illness is hard on the person and close loved ones, I don’t want to trap anyone…and I’ll feel like I’ll be lying if I just wait because for some reason that’s an opening for someone to gaslight

2 Likes

You are not your illness @dorks … you are a real person and we as people all have challenges …

When i was dating i always revealed my dx before even meeting them… many times this made me even more vulnerable because people make their judgments on preconceived notions of mental illness… it used to get me depressed . … i even told my now partner before we met thar at the time my dx was bipolar and before that sz … he didn’t judge me but the vast majority of people I dated have… i don’t think it is important thing to tell someone right away, but for me it has helped to know what their level of understanding is …

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Dorks!

1 Like

Welcome @Dorks!

1 Like

Welcome here hope you enjoy your stay.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!!! Do you have a history of psychosis? Some people have depression related psychosis

1 Like

Welcome.

If you find yourself in need of help, just tag a moderator. Type the @ symbol, then our names

@DearZombie , @Ninjastar , @anon9798425 , @Moonbeam, and @rogueone

Enjoy your stay with us!

2 Likes

Before the diagnosis and professional help, I had very severe psychosis (auditory and visual) to the point I would lock myself in the bathroom it was the only safe place in my house where I didn’t see skulls, shadows and hear voices.

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

:blush:

That’s so awful. I’m sorry. Everyone tells me I’m delusional because I’m being followed and recorded by Navy SEALs who if I make a mistake they’re going to torture me for info. It’s really scary. So I’m glad you’re not scared anymore.

1 Like

Hello @Dorks! Glad to have you with us. I too have a diagnosis of Depression, as well as Schizophrenia. I hear what you’re saying about depression being perceived by others as nothing serious, when it can be terribly serious. Especially if you experience psychotic depression. Hope you find the support you’re looking for here.

1 Like

I hope you find peace one day, nobody needs to go through that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.