Have you completely given up the idea of going back to work?

I am not saying it isn’t good to aim high, but I think aiming high means reaching the best of your abilities and not about making it to a certain position. Maybe I am too naive but I feel the best way to get ahead in life is to be good at what you do, like what you do, and never loose an oppertunity. I always aim high too but I see that as a hinderance to my success. I’m just saying that if you think too hard about your mental illness your life will be full of negativity and pressure. Maybe you do not think too hard, but just stop thinking about retirement and what your in laws think. Focus on what you can accomplish. Make plans to go higher but you’re not doing yourself a favor by giving yourself expectation or pressure to be a certain way.

Idk I’m younger than you and don’t have much experience yet. But I think a lot about sz and recovery so I have a lot to say on it.

I dont know if I will ever be able to work a job. I was offered a job but couldn’t take it.

1 Like

I have not given up on the idea of working, no. I have given up on the idea that I can ever make as much money as I used to do working as an R.N. Right now, I’m working a part time job and only pulling in about $33 to $82 every two weeks. That’s not enough to live on. It’s gonna take a lot more than that for me to go off of disability.

1 Like

I really don’t want to work but my disability doesn’t pay enough for me to stop. if I could get my disability benefit doubled I would never work again for employment, maybe just take care of the 6 acres my mom and dad have

1 Like

I think a fulltime job would be too much for me as I’m easily tired at the moment. But I can do parttime jobs. I’m planning to be self-employed as I have very good skills and good knowledge as well.

2 Likes

Yeah I know it is weird but I feel maybe it’s just me but a lot of us keep wanting to make some drastic change to our lives. If we work we wanna retire. If we retire, we want to work. We want to live alone, then we want to move back in with parents… Sometimes I do this and I feel if it is irrational, just ignore it. But if you really need to change your life in some way do it before it is too late…

2 Likes

To me, you sound quite motivated and are in a good situation to start working again. I think you could start a project if that is your goal. I always have happy memories of China and think it is a good place to live if you have good friends and enough money.

1 Like

There is something too be said for fighting through all this crap that keeps us from not working. There is healing in the process at least in my experience. 17 years ago I was in pretty poor shape felt like I had about 5 acceptable hours a day were I could have some type of Communication with my wife. It was really 5 pretty pathetic hours . But they where better hours than the rest of the day fighting fatigue. Well I didn’t feel I had any options besides work.
Fighting paranoia I had trouble with job interviews but was fortunate to go back to an old employer. I pushed my self every minute of every day just to keep moving. The negative symptoms were really wearing on me. I went through a lot of caffeine and med changes. Was always paranoid about loosing my job so I worked all the harder. Med changes came I built up my confidence and 17 years later I’m still at the same job. Symptoms have faded and I feel confident enough in myself and my work that I now share with some of my co-workers be about my illness. I get paid well enough to support my wife and two kids. I know I’m fortunate to be able to work but at the same time I feel there are too many people that take advantage of the system. I know we all can’t work but I personally know people that don’t push themselves out of there comfort zone because they don’t have too and enjoy the free benefits. They fit in fine at the bar seem to have money for that communicate fine with everyone there ,Can work up to the maximum amount of income but won’t jeopardize there benefits by putting in a full weeks work. Thank God for benefits for those that need it. But there are other sides to the story. Some people just don’t want to be inconvenienced with work. There is healing in fighting for a normal life.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.