Has My Mom Suffered From This?

I’m 42 which means it’s been over 30 years since my mom first showed signs of what, in retrospect, might’ve been schizophrenia. I deeply want closure on this because in ways it’s screwed up my life and my future. I don’t have an outlet, so thank goodness for this forum.

My mom is the best friend someone would feel lucky to have. In every house we’ve lived in since 1985 (her age 52; my age 10) she’s heard “voices from the neighbors” downstairs or next door. She calls them murderers and says they threaten, eavesdrop and repeat back what she says.
Now when I bring up the notion it’s not real, she accuses me of blaming her. I don’t know how to broach this.
I’m looking to compare and contrast symptoms.
I also wish I could have some sort of compassionate angel come and give me what’s been lost from my life. I haven’t been able to move away to start my career. I’ve stayed with her.

Hi, @Geoff1. I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Ninjastar
Volunteer Moderator

3 Likes