Guns and the mentally ill

I just find it amusing that mental illness is considered nothing but behaving outside of the norm.

The normal behavior can include practicing atrocious acts, but the person behind such acts is still considered to be sane thus mentally fit.

Yes…I am responding to myself. This is part of being a Schizo, one must talk to ones self.

2 Likes

I welcome you buddy!

When some angry country starts invading the United States, then it will be illegal NOT to own a gun or have some other form of self protection. That’s how American wars were fought and won and why so many feel strongly about freedom and self defense.

1 Like

I already spoke my opinion when this post came up like a year ago, but again, I do not need or want a gun. Episode plus gun equals higher likelihood of suicide or worse, homocide. I would prefer a bodyguard to me carrying, even though I live in a really crap city (Memphis). I have some degrees in Krav Maga from before the illness hit me and I am still lifting and quite built, that and I avoid the bad parts of town. Krav Maga is different in that it is not a martial art per se, it is more of a science of hand to hand combat and I was trained to take guns from people and use them on them and then unload the gun and place it on the ground, THEN call the police and explain why there is a guy missing his brains in a back alley. OR I could just avoid back alleys. I can’t figure out which option makes more sense.

1 Like

I have a relative who is in law enforcement. I have to say I think he really knows how to responsibly use a weapon far more than I ever could. His temper is not easily aroused and he seems to make pretty sound judgments both in his personal and professional life. The dude is not a math or science genius but he has a lot of emotional intelligence. I am pretty sure this is mostly due to his intense training. Perhaps gun owners in general should be trained to handle their frustrations more effectively. The laws certainly require quite a bit of training to obtain an auto license… probably much more training than obtaining a gun (which perhaps is even why there are fewer mass homicides committed by driving). Unfortunately, intense training usually costs a lot of money.

3 Likes

It’s a complex issue. Education is really at the center of it all. What if college wasn’t overpriced and putting everyone in debt and small businesses were being supported as promised. Budget cuts to small businesses and government contractors hurts everyone. It hurts the states, the schools, the crumbling subway systems etc. Gas prices hike. Students are in debt for trying to climb the business ladder. Skilled individuals are sacrificed over Mcdonalds employees, and everyone is at each others throats because nothing is fair at least here in the U.S. and everywhere else. Everyone’s trying to get their piece of pie.

If education were free, healthcare were free, and funding was put towards ideas and innovation then we’d be a better America overall. Why we haven’t reached this yet doesn’t surprise me. Corruption and poor investments will be our ruin.

1 Like

I strongly disagree w/mentally ill owning a weapon. It’s 95% more likely to be used on oneself than for protection.

1 Like

Right…the problem with this mass shooters at the schools is that they seek out a place with UNARMED people (kids) that had NOTHING to do with their gripe in the first place. Why do them (the victims)what was done to you(the shooter)?
Why didn’t these shooters target the bullies that everyone claims caused the shooters grief?
That’s the tradegy of someone considered mentally ill with a gun(s) who shoot people that were no threat to them.
How can they when they learn no one will step in to help them when the bullying happens?
Laws can’t protect those who obey them from those who don’t obey them.
When your dead, the law don’t matter.
Respect for life, and a wepon should be taught at an early age. To understand why you fire a gun(or weapon) is as important as knowing how to fire a gun(or weapon.

I would rather have the free will to make choices about my own treatment than the privilege of owning a gun. There is so much stigma surrounding the mentally ill: every time a shooter goes on a rampage, the first assumption is that he was mentally ill. Every time that happens, people are ever-so-keen to support legislation forcing treatments on the mentally ill — for the benefit of society — usually while strapped to a bed with a needle in their (our) butts.

I saw a video on CNN of a grand opening in Oklahoma: a bar / shooting range. You buy drinks; you shoot guns. Does anyone think that could possibly be a good thing? What is America’s obsession with guns. I never understood it.

1 Like

That’s because it’s trendy to deny that there is evil in this world. It’s fashionable to declare every evil act as the result of mental illness.

2 Likes

Been thinking this over… There is a problem with hard and fast rules of this nature. Should mentally ill people have access to guns? I don’t know of a person who doesn’t suffer some form of mental illness at some point. Every single person I’ve ever met has. That would disqualify everyone.

Should people with a history of violent or unsafe actions have access to guns? No. Should people who have had a history, but have since demonstrated years of responsible behaviour be allowed access? Don’t see why not. I’m allowed to drive a vehicle, which can be equally dangerous. I can drive a yellow and black vehicle loaded with over seventy kids belonging to other parents on it.

A lot of people will flat out state that mentally ill parents have no business having kids. I would have agreed with you and my daughter was an oopsie that we hadn’t planned on. Thing is, I’ve turned out to be an okay parent, and my daughter has turned out to be an exceptional young lady. Not just my opinion, but that of teachers, her principal, the Superintendent of Schools in our division, and a fairly famous author that she interviewed. Every rule has exceptions.

And there is a lot of gun violence perpetrated by sane people.

No easy answer here, except for: If you’re not stable, please don’t have a gun in your home. Not a good combo.

10-96

2 Likes

I dont think anybody that isn’t trained specifically about firearms should even be in the same room with them, where im from we teach them young about firstly hunting rifles and such.

I think I was around 8 when my pop should me what a 44 mag. Does to prairie dogs in South Dakota and 4 yrs later when he showed me how to use it myself.

Let me tell you that when you to fire a 44 mag under the proper supervision you quickly develop a healthy respect for firearms, I have only owned a 380 legally and that was just for target practice , popping bottles

Sorry I forgot that I don’t think that anybody thats even a little bit off should own a firearm.

I have reformulated my opinion, opinions change sometimes.

The most sane of us “insane” people should be allowed to own guns.

But if other people didn’t own guns I wouldn’t even need one.

No guns for 90% of people with schizophrenia, only the most highly functioning and medication+therapy compliant should touch a firearm. Sorry but that’s how it is in my world. If you can’t provide for yourself, no gun. If you do, sure, you should be sound enough to know how to use a weapon. Guns are incredibly dangerous, might I remind…someone with experience with guns at a range or military training can slaughter people like sheep with a gun.

Guns are meant to kill living things. Most guns involved in the act of one human killing another were designed for one human killing another, engineered to perfection. Combine that with being insane and well duh thats why we arent allowed to have guns.

This is common sense. Insane people or very psychotic people should not have guns.

Untreated, poorly functioning, uninsightful, unmedicated, arguably not even sane people with schizophrenia should not own guns.

oh wait this one is a senior psychology student with a 3.9, he can have one. ■■■■, his body is a weapon and he’s never murdered or tried to murder anyone with it, give him a damn gun. Hes a bodybuilder and is trained an experienced in hand to hand combat. Like a gun even means anything to him.

Oh wait this one is a psychiatry professor, he can have one, a bigger one.

Oh wait this one is a law professor, she can have one.

Oh wait this one is a successful businessman in charge of lots of people, he can have one.

Oh wait this one has a skilled job and provides for his wife and kids, he can have one.

Uh oh this one spends half the rent getting plastered and has no occupation and doesnt take meds or therapy. No gun for this one!

Im done

Soz If I Replied To Tha Wrong Poster ,

N E Hoo ,

Here Is My Thot ,

I Was Going Throo “akathaysia” , CAUSED BY MEDS … ,

That Statement Is Important … ,

Ok It Went On Viciously For 4ish hours ,

I Begged Without tears , END IT. END IT ! END IT ! END IT ! (frighteneing to say tah least) ,

I Got Angry and WISHED I Had A Gun ,

Cause I Would Have Pulled That ■■■■■■■ Trigger ,

ON ME. and ONLI ME . ,

But Thankfully I Didn’t Have A Gun . ,

So I’ll End It There .

(and will someone reply to my advice thread!!!) ,

(I MEAN COME ON !!!)

Peace Be Unto You All

: )

That’s why you shouldn’t have a gun :slight_smile:

I dunno, when I was 20 I was using mortar systems, artillery, assault weapons, machine guns, grenade launches, rocket launchers. I think I’ll be fine with a single little peashooter. I shot my first .22 caliber rifle at 7 in penn state. I shot my first .22 pistol at 7 in texas. I’ve been around firearms all my life nearly, and I’ve been known to have a great enthusiasm for marksmanship and getting those shot groups on the target.

I’ve known it to calm me down, wise me up, and keep sober with it. It’s everyone’s American right, and gun violence has been sold to the world by the American government-(we’re the biggest arms dealer). It seems stupid on our leaderships will, to disarm a country that armed the entire world.

As time passes, I think the respect for a firearm gets stronger through the very use of it.

If I had my way, I’d have firearms courses in line for high schoolers to learn citizenry in America, and the value of it.

Anyways, after the service before being diagnosed…I had five different weapons. I’ve recently given them to family or sold them. I’m an operation enduring freedom rotation three 2003 veteran. I’ve worked with three branches of military by enlisting in them. I’ve worked great prosperous and pride laden jobs. Now I sort of wonder if everything done was good or right to the people.

Anyway, from childhood, to military, to citizenship-I’ve been at the range with a firearm.

1 Like

The recent mass shootings are done by evil murderers. They may have mental issues, but so do many and they don’t kill people.

The mentally ill are more likely to be shot by police then successfully wield a gun against imaginary enemies.

1 Like

Because I’ve been labeled “mentally ill” I can no longer own the means to protect myself from harm?

Could you imagine asking the person if they could postpone the incident in which they want to do you harm until after your case is properly reviewed by the authorities, then come back at a later date if approved for a gun permit?
Sure.

I don’t care to get that close to someone trying to do me harm if all I have is a knife.
So I do have a #5 golf club that has this wonderfully long reaching arm with a fat wood head that will be the first thing that greets the uninvited head or hands that come unannounced into my home.

1 Like

I’m going to be an airhorn ninja.

2 Likes