Schizophrenia.com

Grandmother is confused

She doesn’t seem well and isn’t making much sense when she talks. She does not have sz. I am thinking it could be early signs of dementia… or lack of sleep… She is 98 years old.

She also shouts at night and its difficult for us to get any sleep.

2 Likes

I had a great aunt who was 93 years old before she died last year. She had some cognitive difficulties. She seemed like she was more “with it” in the morning after some sleep but would often be more cognitively impaired later at night when she was tired. So I think your assumption is a good one.
98 years old developing cognitive symptoms mixed with a lack of sleep sounds like a recipe for her being confused.
I hope that she is able to improve with some sleep and that it is not permanent debilitating dementia.
How long has she seemed confused?

1 Like

Dementia is tough. We’re going through it with my auntie. She is better earlier and has a harder time later on into the evenings. Some of her delusions seem to stick with her though.to help her rationalize the memory problems. For instance she is convinced there is a man who comes into her house and takes her things. Because they aren’t where she remembers them being.

4 Likes

It’s been less than a month but it’s getting worse. We getting a test for uti infection as well.

1 Like

My grandma also had some dementia at the end of her life. She lived to be 100.

1 Like

if im not mistaken the old name for schizophrenia was " dementia praecox" which can mean premature dementia. The two are linked clearly IMO. I hope shes doing well and its not the case.

1 Like

She’s much better this evening but she’s going to shout at night and its pretty scary stuff. What if she runs out the door.

1 Like

Has she had any symptoms of a urinary tract infection? That can cause confusion in the elderly

1 Like

I’m sorry @ish yes she’s old and that is to be expected.
My Mom suffered with dementia for years until she passed away from it in 2019.
Spend some quality time with her.
God bless.

2 Likes

They going to do a test tomorrow but this has been going on for a few weeks now.

Can someone that old have night terrors?

2 Likes

She talks a lot in her sleep and it sounds like it.

1 Like