Getting tired of my professor

She literally waited till halfway through the semester to start grading, and she is a hard grader. It seems like the grades are based more on how she is feeling than what you really did. She didn’t follow my directions on how to go through my last series of work and of course then didn’t understand it. This is perhaps the lowest grade I have ever had in college, even though my peer reviews are exceptional right now. I hate it

Why did you need to provide directions on how to read it? Is that normal in your field? Because I know most of my professors would probably grade me at least two grades lower if I did that. Even if the content itself was good.

It was part of the assignment to direct the reader to which parts were chosen and edited before the final draft. She just went through the whole thing willy nilly

1 Like

So she didn’t follow her own instructions, then? That’s pretty mean…

1 Like

Yah I don’t get it. I’m getting good grades in my other course. It’s not like I’m failing I just want a good grade. I’ll get over it

1 Like

I once had a professor who was going through a midlife crisis or something during class and did a similar thing. I don’t think he was reading our papers at all. I think he just remembered us from lower-level courses, and graded us based on what he remembered our performance to be like in other classes. Which was good new for me, but not for a friend of mine who had a bad previous semester and was really trying to buckle down.

1 Like

The problem with online courses is I don’t get much of a choice with who I take my courses with. Its pretty skint so I have to take what I can get. I’ll get more research courses next semester so I should be able to up my gpa. It just sucks because what she requires for the assignments and the grades she gives are two different things.

1 Like

Put that in your end-of-semester survey.

2 Likes

Professors at my school are not allowed to grade anything alone. They always have to be two. Otherwise it’s just pass and fail.

1 Like

I definitely will. I’m also really peeved that she didn’t start grading till halfway through the semester. There were a lot of errors I could have fixed had I known earlier

2 Likes

I used to go to a university that was pass/fail with written reviews from the instructors. I miss it dearly

1 Like

This makes me so jealous. Some of my professors were totally wacky about grades. I even had one professor who approved my topic proposal, then told me at the rough draft review 1 week before the project was due that I couldn’t actually do that topic. I was furious.

3 Likes

Holy crap! Ninja that’s terrible!!!

1 Like

I still got an A on the project. I was able to take a lot of my research and apply it to a new topic last minute. I am excellent under pressure.

2 Likes

And evidently intelligent as well!!!

(I don’t know why people’s intelligence is so important to me. Like my cousin is not that intelligent but she treats everyone the same regardless of class or ethnicity and she’s extremely generous. That’s important.)

1 Like

I want to learn Arabic but the college in WV that teaches it is 4 hours away and I don’t do good in public.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty intelligent. Not enough to understand Common Core mathematics just yet, but I’m getting tutored so I can help Starlet with his homework.

1 Like

It’s a challenging language, because they use a different alphabet. But I suck at languages in general. My brain just has trouble with them.

1 Like

I’ve tried to help my daughter with her math and she’d tell me,”Mom. They don’t do it that way.” I’m like, “Sparrow, what does it matter as long as you get it right?”
What the heck are common core mathematics?

1 Like

It’s ultimately a more intuitive way of doing math, and gives them better fundamentals for harder equations. But it takes some getting used to.

1 Like