Getting off Abilify after 9 years!

Just a thrilling update. I’ve been in the process of getting off Abilify after 9 years of taking it (since I was 17) and it has been going incredibly well. I have always heard voices/had visuals, even while on the medication, I have learned to manage it on my own. So I had a heart to heart with my psych about wanting to discontinue and we’ve been doing it over the last few months. I’ve gone from 30mg to 7mg thus far, and I’m just elated it is going so well. My hands are shaking less too. Thanks for reading all. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Good Luck! :slight_smile:

I stopped Abilify after 8 years due to worsening side effects, addictions and hypersexuality. You’re not on any antipsychotic?

Last time I quit all meds I got psychosis after 1-2y. Some users here got psychosis after 5y.

Be careful. I came off abilify but landed in hospital completely psychotic after 2 years.

Best of luck with your decision.

1 Like

Yeah I was hospitalized too, after 1-2y of stopping Abilify.

1 Like

I came off it after 10 years of absolutely no psychosis. And I ended up psychotic granted it was because they gave me antidepressants that didn’t agree with me but I don’t advise it

1 Like

I hope it works out

1 Like

I should clarify, I’m still on an antipsychotic. In the past, I haven’t done well with no meds at all. I am still on Rexulti, Wellbutrin, and an antianxiety med. I spoke to her about it because 2 antipsychotics were giving me a world of side effects. And of the two, Abilify gives me horrible shakes. I’m just happy it’s going well so far. I’ve had massive withdrawal in the past with meds, and this is going better than I expected.

4 Likes

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

All the best I hope it works out for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope it works out for you. The less chemicals in our bodies the better. Get rid of what you can.

I have been unable to part with my old friend zyprexa, we have a lot of history together. And we decided we need eachother. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I Wish you the Best without antipsychotics. The only time I went without antipsychotic was in 1995 where I quit trillafon depo. 14 days after I was deeply paranoid and heard loud voices.

You know, you’re right cake is very good

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I hear voices still, but I am still taking an antipsychotic :slight_smile: Just one as opposed to a double dose (if all goes well!).

1 Like

I’m glad your not getting withdrawals Abilify gave me the worst withdrawals I’ve ever had

1 Like

good luck with the med changes, i hope things go well for you =)

1 Like