Free Will - yay or nay?

Do we have free will?

Yeah I think so

but if not I’ll fight whoever pulls the strings

2 Likes

Yes I believe we do. This is why I don’t believe in psychics. For someone to predict anything with accuracy, everything would have to be planned out in advance. Furthermore, this would justify horrible things like murder. I just don’t believe that’s how it is. I think everybody has their own independent mind and the ability to avoid horrible situations.

2 Likes

To an extent. A large part of our lives is influenced by the environment we’re surrounded by.

2 Likes

I think we have free will to an extent also. At anytime The creator/god can control any one of us. God can also influence us heavily. Most people are just roaming around doing their thing. They are non playable characters in video game lingo.

When I was a teenager I didn’t believe in free will. I thought determinism was the truth and everything could be calculated. Now I’m not so sure.

We have the illusion of free will, but we are tightly controlled by our governments.

2 Likes

To a point. Go outside the box and you will find little.

i live my life by the horoscope newspaper section. :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :grimacing:

2 Likes

No, we don’t have free will.

4 Likes

You have a choice in everything even if society tells you otherwise.

That is half the fun of living. Do what you want to do and enjoy it without harming others and your living a good life in my books…Except the genetic stuff. Some things are hardwired into us and that isn’t based on choice but preference/genetics.

1 Like

Demonstrably not, but we’re too well programmed by biology, moral a prioris and societal discourses to believe otherwise

Meh :neutral_face:

1 Like

What made you question your earlier conviction?

1 Like

When I was unmedicated, I felt as though I was being controlled by spirits… All those strange coincidences and synchronicities didn’t help, either.

Thankfully, I don’t feel that way anymore.

I live my life freely now.

This is a fascinating question, but if we had true free will we could whisk ourselves away to far off galaxies in less than a second. I think the best way to look at this question is if we have moral free will. Are we predestined to be good or evil? According to the doctrines of Calvinism all of humanity is evil and deserves to go to hell, and only a few of us are saved by God’s mercy from eternal damnation. It’s grim philosophy, but the majority of Protestant denominations in America subscribe to this doctrine. So, do we have moral free will? I honestly don’t know.

1 Like

I guess religion caused me to think differently. If we didn’t have free will, why would God punish us for what we do? In the Bible there are many many times God becomes angry and punishes us. A just God wouldn’t punish us if we had no free will.

Also, as far as I know, determinism doesn’t work because things become unpredictable at the quantum level.

#government matrix

2 Likes

My voices say they are god and they give like 20 percent free will