For those on disability:how much if an increase did you get

I got a $4 increase which is $48 for the year. Hey it’s better then nothing. Then again the cost of living has risen probably more than that… but I get a good check so not to worry much. But cost of living is really high here. I can’t support myself on my own unless I get a pt job to go along with it

2 Likes

Ah disability. One part of me knows that the government can’t pay for it and the other part of me knows that particularly those with really bad sz need it. Still I can’t believe that they would only give you $48 for the whole year that’s terrible. Did you just start to get it or something. I’ve tried to get disability but got turned down. I’m wondering if it has something to do with a state by state thing. The reason being is that I live in texas and they just told me I haven’t worked enough to get disability.

No I got a $48 increase. My check is nice but I live in an area where it’s expensive to live. So I get more than average but it’s all relative. Where I live I need a bigger disability Check than say I was living in the south. I could afford to live in the south with my check, but the northeast even though I get a good amount, the cost of living is waaay higher.

i get ssi and i got a 2 dollar increase for 2017. i was told i didn’t work enough for ssdi.

Did they base that off how much you’ve paid taxes? I used to work a decent amount but surely not all that much. I’m on ssdi

i only worked at a job for nine months, they said i didn’t work enough full time hours to get enough points to qualify something like that anyway.

If one has SSI, it is good to also get SSDI, even if SSDI is going to be small.

Jayster

1 Like

Asked my mom and she said since she and both my dad are 65+ and on social security, that’s why I get ssdi and not ssi. Because I’m on their social security. I said that it doesn’t seem fair…that I should get ssdi and people with younger parents only get ssi.

When my Dad retired, I was entitled to SSDI based upon his Social Security.

Jayster

1 Like

Yeah, about 3 or 4 dollars. I spent already on a greeting card that I mailed to the Director of the Social Security office telling him he can kiss my you-know-what and I asked him what his salary is.

I’m just kidding because I actually think getting SSDI is the greatest deal in town.

Welcome back by the way.

4 Likes

a lawyer told my mom that since she gets ssdi that my brother and i should get ssdi too but i looked it up. i don’t qualify for ssdi since i was disabled after the age of 22.

Ya my dad retired last year. That’s about the time when I got a big increase in ssdi. Previously I was getting like $530 a month.

1 Like

The Cost-Of-Living Adjustment (COLA) is 0.3% for 2016.

COLA is directly tied to inflation.

2 Likes

Oh I thought it was a soft drink…

lol I think @77nick77 used that joke already.

3 Likes

When (if) your Dad diies, you are entitled to some one time only benefits. But you’ll have to apply for them. It was about $550 when my Dad died 13 years ago.

Also, I imagine your SSDI will go up a lot when your Dad dies. I imagine you should be entitled to one half what he’s entitled to when he is alive, and three quarters what he would be entitled to when he dies.

Jayster

2 Likes

I was disabled before age 22. That’s why I’m entitled to SSDI based upon my parents earnings.

Jayster

1 Like

Thanks for the info @Jayster

I’m glad I have some experience you find useful.

J.

1 Like