Flu during Pregnancy increases risk of Schizophrenia by 300% in Child

In the first trimester of pregnancy, if the mom gets an infection such as the flu, the risk of the baby developing schizophrenia 15 years later is increased by approximately threefold [300%],” said study senior author Alexandre Bonnin, Assistant Professor at the Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California in the US.

Read the full story here:

and

Paper Overview here:

2 Likes

Very disturbing. Most women i know have had some kind of infection during pregnancy, either it was just a regular cold or a bacterial infection like vaginal or ear etc. It would seem that every kind of stress during pregnancy ‘increases’ the risk of sz and we’re talking about condition that rarely goes so smoothly. :confused:

1 Like

This has me worried, trying to think back over my wife’s pregnancies, trying to remember if she had gotten sick during any of them :mask:

1 Like

Sz is very common. Worldwide aproximately 1 in every 100 people have it. Its not something to be afraid of but rather find strength from. I believe our culture has dramatized it and bedeviled us. It maybe been worse when we were tortured in history but I find a strength in my challenges and I’m bigger hearted because of my illness

I was born dec 7th winter. Winter births are common in sz because thats flu season. I feel like god had it out for me.