Employment Support Thread

I think I will take the food service certificate in Washington study and take the exam online.

Bit of a hope to link it to employment in the states.

1 Like

Sounds like you have a lot to deal with at the moment. I used to hate it when they did that.

In my old office job they just never replaced anybody, and one time they replaced a senior member of the team with an account executive, then gave them too much to do and they just left as well

It can get real messy like that in these companies

I held a job before becoming a student last year.

I’m trying to find a job again but it seems like COVID-19 killed most of the translation jobs. I can’t work in-person at the moment because of how fragile my health is. I was really looking forward to working again…guess I won’t be working for a while. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I took some time off and that’s all I have done

Not great at all, and to be honest, I feel no better for doing it

1 Like

Yea, it’s not the most healthy option, I guess you could say. The thing with this illness is it sometimes forces your hand to do things like this, and then you’re just left feeling worse sometimes.

Feeling burnt out at the moment, and will probably take a small break come September.

Hope you are well :sunny:

2 Likes

I’m back on my regular Abilify dose, hopefully the effects kick in before my job starts. My fatigue is really bad right now.

2 Likes

I’m not working, but looking for work. There’s stress. Not a lot of jobs to go around in this little town.

4 Likes

I have been at my job for two and a half years now about. Constantly been looking for another one. Can’t find a better one but still looking. I am not really good at what I do right now.

2 Likes

Hey guys I was about to make a thread but this one is basically what I was gonna post.

I am studying a masters in a field I really enjoy and believe in, but the problem is I dont think Im up to the task. Its a stressful and high-skilled STEM field so idk.

I still want to do STEM, but I want to be able to have flexibility due to my condition. Maybe even work from home or start my own business.

Sooo

I was thinking of doing a coding bootcamp, one of the cheaper ones, and self studying coding along the way in stuff from the camp that I think is interesting, and maybe break into a software engineering role

What do you guys think? Anyone have experiences in this?

4 Likes

I am just figuring out whether to do a data science msc and the maths and coding aspect is really putting me off

How far into yours are you?

I am accepted on a 2 year part time

It will kill my savings and I am not sure I am up to it

1 Like

Same here. You have to travel quite far for work here

2 Likes

Not employment, but I know I will need support to keep up with my classes once they start at the end of the month. Starlet has been mostly low maintenance the past 6 months, but Sun has a lot of physical and emotional needs to keep on top of. I am nervous about how I’m going to balance parenting two teens on top of chemistry and biology classes.

2 Likes

I havent started, Ive just picked out the bootcamp and track Im going to do.

Its called the launch school and it has a very affordable online program for full stack development using Ruby and JavaScript. I was thinking of data science but I dont wanna do data analysis, I wanna work with backend server-side stuff.

If you have the work ethic, which Im sure you do, I have no doubt you can do it. Data science does not require a ton of advanced math, and nothing beyond trigonometry and precalc until you get into algorithms and numerical methods

Whats your end goal with the program? Data analyst?

I will pray for you and your family @Zoe . Take care and God bless.

3 Likes

I want in the long run to return to a (sheltered) job in the church, cleaning, doing practical stuff. Helping the minister through weddings, funerals and the services.

Nice thread.

1 Like

I have already been a data analyst - I’d like to be a data scientist, but that’s a whole other level compared to what I was doing before

Many companies require a much higher skill-set than what I currently possess - even on entry level positions

1 Like

Oh a data scientist, so like machine learning and stuff? Idk much about computer science I took a few classes in coding in university thats it

Thats what Im worried about also is the entry level barrier. I looked at software engineering jobs in the area once and a lot of them had some very stringent entry requirements

They want such specific things these days

It drives me crazy but they must find the perfect candidate somehow as they don’t seem to want to take a chance on someone that might only fit 75% of their description

2 Likes

I dont know if its a good idea, but maybe study parties.I dont mean invite a bunch of people over to study, but a good technique is to sit down and do your school work with your kids while they do theirs. I know that’s just a drop in the bucket of balancing school and kids, but its just an idea. I think that finding tiny hacks to maximize both parenting time and school time will help keep stress down.

2 Likes

I think this is a very good idea. If they see me working hard they will be more likely to work hard themselves. Starletis already a huge school need, but Sun missed 2 months of school when he was homeless and never really caught up. I’m hoping we can get him engaged with learning again.

1 Like