Employment Support Thread

Let’s see if we can get this one off the ground.

I know for sure I need employment support right now, and maybe you do to

10 Likes

I am all set to get employed from home.
Hopefully in next coming months.
All dusty system which I did not use for past couple of months.

4 Likes

That’s good. Fingers crossed it goes well

I have been trying to get a remote job, but seems hard to do so

2 Likes

What’s is the profession you are looking at ?

I just upskilled and plan to do freelance.

3 Likes

Data Insights. The problem is I did the job for 6 years, but we did not have the access to technology (SQL/Azure/Python/R etc), so looking at the other companies I am not qualified

I have been accepted on a post graduate masters course for data science, but I am not sure I can do it with my current maths level

On top of that I have been Landscaping again, but I don’t want to do that any more

What kind of work are you looking to freelance in?

3 Likes

Yes I remember your pics on landscape, those are really good.

I am into python and machine learning its just the basics I have scratched.

There is a great place from google called Colab, you can practice coding even if your system is low configured.
They provide you with 12 GB CPU as well some 16 GB GPU or TPU.

Congratulations!!!
Maths is simple to learn if you go all out on it.

Freelance as data scientist, hopefully as you said fingers crossed.

1 Like

if they haven’t fired me yet, then they’re never going to fire me.

There’s plum jobs out there folks. Sometimes it just takes stumbling on to them.

Also I want to say. Every now and then someone posts that their parents, therapist, case manager etc. tells them that they think
the person is ready to work. But the person themselves may not think they are ready to work. and that’s a legitimate feeling and you have to trust your gut feeling. But on the other hand, I’ve been working almost steadily since 1983. About 36 years albeit, mostly part time. I got out of the hospital in 1982 after an 8 month stay. I moved directly into a group home and started going to a vocational program.The idea behind the vocational program was to get us ready to get employed. So we held groups and we did mailing projects for the post office and could make ourselves a few bucks each and did yard work out in the community. A lot of the program was geared towards socializing. But hey, I had no plans to get a job. At all. I was a paranoid schizophrenic who hardly talked and took turns sleeping on the couch on breaks and lunch until they made us stop.I was low man on the totem pole there but I talked to several people. I had a couple friends but I didn’t say one word to to anyone in the popular clique.

But then things began to happen. I supervised a yard work crew. I didn’t want to but my counselor thought it would be good for me. Some of the clients took turns supervising.

Then the counselors talked me into running a cash register at lunch. We sold food to ourselves and reinvested the profits to always make sure we had good food for lunch and variety. So for about a month I sacrificed my lunch break to ring up yogurt and sandwiches. I didn’t want to and I didn’t enjoy it but I did it.

Next, they invented the position of “groundskeeper” just for me. They had me work alone keeping the landscaping around the building clean and neat. I don’t know why they picked me out of 15 other people; but there I was sweeping, raking and pulling weeds. Again, I didn’t ask to do it but the counselors thought I could do it. I think you guys see where I’m going with this.

My next position was being a janitor at the mental health agency office building. It was a two month position. It paid like $35 a month to take a bus to the offices, empty wastebaskets, vacuum, wipe down tables and clean the restrooms. Same ol thing, the counselors thought I could do it and they were right. In fact, they were supposed to rotate a new person in every two months but they liked my work (and me) so much that they kept me on an extra two months!

And the final step was when the counselors approached me and told me they were in touch with a few employers in the community who hired the disabled and that they wanted to give me a job. I said sure. I didn’t ask for it. It was a job cleaning hot tubs and other miscellaneous odd jobs. Again, they wanted to rotate a new person every three months but me and one other guy from the vocational program started working there and the new boss liked us so much that we both ended up working there four years.

And this is my story of how I began being employed. I told it for a specific reason. I took a lot of words to make a certain point that may or may not help anyone. But here’s my important point. Sometimes other people can see something in us that we don’t see in ourselves. That’s exactly what my whole story is about. When they kept picking me for those positions and more and more responsibility I didn’t ask for them. Like I said, I had no plan to work. And there were lots of other. people in the program who were older, more outgoing, popular, had better jobs previously. But somehow the counselors kept choosing me. I’m not bragging just stating facts. And in my future jobs, the same pattern emerged. My friends got me jobs at their places of employment sometimes.

In 1999 I was in a day program for a year. I had a couple setbacks and I had quit unloading trucks at Sears and joined this day program. After I had been there a year one day this woman counselor walked up to me. She had clipped an ad out of a newspaper. It was a company looking for a park ranger. The counselor thought I should apply. I told her, “I have no experience”. She told me the ad said they were looking for someone to train. I told her that it was too good a job for me, I said I didn’t think I could do it. But this counselor thought I could do it and talked me into applying. I went to the park ranger company office, applied, got hired and ended up staying there two years!

So I made my point. Like I said, if you feel strongly you can’t work, it’s good to trust that feeling. But sometimes, if someone believes in you, you should just take that chance and try it out. Amen.

8 Likes

İ m learning c++.it s really fun.but i m not looking any job opportunity because i already have one.but that would be great to work on IT business

2 Likes

Our biggest problem is we’re short staffed. That’s why half the time at night when I’m chatting online with @anon4362788 and @anon40540444 they be like WHY ARE YOU STILL WORKING?!? We did a restructure at the begining year and a team of four people (my account executive and three insurance advisors) was reduced to my account executive and myself. Oh, and the workload has increased since that time as the number of underwriting requests from insurance companies is up about 20% this year we figure.

A bunch of people quit over the restructure as well, so now there is continual pressure to recall me to working in a branch again. They badly need employees there for the customers who want to do everything F2F. I’m commercially trained, but had one manager from an area on the personal lines side of the company reach out to me yesterday to ask if I wanted to join his team? He’s asking pretty much everyone in the company directory. I said no, don’t want to work back in branch, doing personal, and for less money. Going from what I do now to personal lines would be a real demotion.

This has been a really stressful year at work.

3 Likes

Digging this thread, @Joker :+1:.

Work is tough right now for me: wanting to self-isolate, and just lie in bed all day.

It’s been really hard to be there for like, 7 hours a day with moderate to heavy socializing with clients.

Not to mention, my feet hurt like a biitch from standing all day.

Wishing you luck in your new career venture @Joker, and I enjoyed seeing your landscaping projects :sunny:

2 Likes

Subscribing

1 Like

I’m stupidly changed my Abilify injection from every 3 weeks to every 4 weeks, and now I’m experiencing really bad fatigue and lack of motivation, its affecting my volunteer work.

I can’t focus long enough and I’m super forgetful and spacey.

I was fine pre-medication change but I totally regret not consulting with my doctor.

I also start a part time remote job in a few weeks and I’m hoping I’ll readjust to my old Abilify dose by then.

This is on top of my school work all of which is due in a few weeks.

I’m doing the minimum hours required for everything, but I’m still worried I’ll fall off track.

1 Like

That’s what happened with me. I hadn’t had a real job since 2002-2003. A few years ago i switched meds and started feeling better, like I could work part time, but not just any job. I spent months browsing indeed,com and stumbled across my current job. It’s worked out really well, been there almost 2 months now. It was pure luck because the job was only posted for 1 day. They took it down because they got over 300 applicants, and out of that I was one of 20 something they hired.

3 Likes

I’m doing an Account management sales job. I’ll prob do it remote one day. Having to socialize at the office can be a challenge.
I like landing new deals. It’s fun. I don’t like when things are too slow tho but I guess that’s a blessing to not be too busy actually.

Just gotta keep on keepin on

5 Likes

I’m looking for a new job.

One where I don’t need to talk to people too much.

I need to have a new full time job and have moved out of my home by 9.9.21.

Because family are being kicked out

Eeek.

The pressure is on

4 Likes

You can do it. You will find something decent

2 Likes

Thankyou for the support I appreciate it Level.

:relaxed:

3 Likes

I had applied and requested for a course last month, got to know yesterday that the request has been granted. Awesome. Just thought to share.

4 Likes

Well done @X_Y_Z. Hope it goes well for you.

4 Likes

Thank you @rogueone . Yes I will make sure, as I am well prepared for it, even then I will give my best.

3 Likes