Efficacy and safety of brexpiprazole (OPC-34712) as maintenance treatment in adults with schizophrenia: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study

CONCLUSIONS: In conclusion, for patients with schizophrenia already stabilised on brexpiprazole, maintenance treatment with brexpiprazole was efficacious, with a favourable safety profile. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01668797 (https://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01668797).

@cole, do you have personal experience with Rexulti? I haven’t noticed you mention it before, and your assessment doesn’t line up with any of the people I’ve seen here who have been on it.

How long did you take it, and at what dosage?

Nope, I haven’t tried it yet. Just explaining what I thought the side effects could be not what they are. I am always a bit skeptical about the Pharm Companies self reporting of side effects.

Please feel free to share your personal experiences on medication - that’s a valuable resource for other members.

Posting what you imagine the side effects might be because you’re skeptical isn’t helpful. I’ve deleted your post as it’s misleading. Please don’t make any more like it.

1 Like

Yes - its good to be skeptical. Pharma has been far from forthcoming in many instances. But try to balance it and not be entirely cynical.

From what I’ve heard from the researchers brexpiprazole is just a slight tweak on Aripiprazole that the pharma company behind both did to get a new patent because the one on Aripiprazole / Abilify ran out.

Most clinicians I’ve talked to don’t think its worth the money - its more a marketing tool for the company. So yes, be skeptical.

Admin’s got my back, he concurs.

Admin was basing on available information. You were basing on speculation. Big difference.

I actually agree with both of you.

Rhubot is completely correct on her statements:

“Posting what you imagine the side effects might be because you’re skeptical isn’t helpful.”

“Please feel free to share your personal experiences on medication - that’s a valuable resource for other members.”

And you’re right to be skeptical - but try not to go all the way over to cynical. There are lots of good people in pharma companies who do want to find new treatments to help you. Sometimes the marketing and sales people go overboard, which is problematic in a healthcare situation where lives matter.

1 Like

@SzAdmin Do you think there might be a disconnect between clinician’s opinions and what patients are saying on the ground with this particular med?

Perhaps - thats possible. What I believe the researchers are saying is that this new molecule that they are using is not very different than the Abilify molecule - targets the same receptors, etc. - so the net impact / benefit can’t be a whole lot different.

Abilify helps lots of people, not question about that. And so its likely that this new medication could also help a lot of people - the question is around cost/benefit.

(Otsuka, is the original developer of this drug and Abilify) - and, by the way, the full research paper for the initial summary you posted is here:

http://sci-hub.cc/doi/10.1093/ijnp/pyw076

1 Like