Driving on snowy roads

Yesterday I drove on snowy roads for the first time. I’ve lived in NY 20 years and avoided that until now. I figured it was time I learned.

It was terrifying. No plows had went yet. Today I did it again and then will again in About 45 minutes for work. Then again at 5. I’m scared but have to do this.

14 Likes

I am used to drive in snow. What I hate is driving in black ice. Black ice is very dangerous, everything is coated with ice.

4 Likes

i feel yea its very scary just go slow okay be careful, do you have awd car.

1 Like

One problem with driving on snow is using the brakes. I advise you to drive slowly until you get the hang of it. Good driving! The board would hate to lose you to an accident!

1 Like

When driving on snow you’re supposed to tap your breaks rather than make a hard break.
@anon4362788. You lived in the South. Did you even get snow where you were?

2 Likes

My van went off the road in snow in my teens. That sucked we had to dig it out. Also I had an accident because someone ran a stop sign in the snow. Then I did a 360 in my moms old car in the snow. I had a pickup truck that was terrible in the snow. It made me very nervous. It was a rear wheel drive dual cab it was awful. White nuckle driving.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I had a Subaru Legacy 4 wheel drive that I could drive anywhere in any conditions. It was only a $10,000 car but it was a great car.

2 Likes

I want a Subaru. They are nice cars. My girlfriends mom had one in my late teens and I got to drive it.

2 Likes

@Loke yes, we got snow in NC, but I never drove in it. I did drive on ice.

2 Likes

Not since 1998. Nowadays, all cars are equipped with ABS (anti-lock brakes) so you’re supposed to just press down like normal, and the brakes automatically adjust for skidding.

2 Likes

My van tells me if it notices ice, but the sensor is off because it calls regular water and mud “ice”

2 Likes

Unless your abs sensor is brokies like mine :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Going easy on the gas pedal helps too, always see people flooring it and going nowhere lol

2 Likes

Good job. In Michigan we can have snow up to 6 months out of the year.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Same here. Anytime fro. Late Sept to May. Its normally Nov -April, bit theres been weird snows in Sept and May before

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve never driven in snow. But driving in perpetually 76 degree, sunny days here in California is tough because I never know whether to play a Beach Boys CD or the Mama’s and the Papa’s singing “California Dreaming” CD.
Decisions, decisions. It’s tough.

I just tested my new car’s snow capabilities in an empty parking lot. It handles so well I was unable to do a donut. Good to know before I have to drive in really damgerous conditions.

2 Likes

That’s awesome @Ninjastar. My car drives like a tin can on roller skates in the ice and snow

1 Like

Our roads were cleared very well before I got to work, so it was all good

1 Like