Drawing the Line Between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Schizophrenia

An extremely long article

4 Likes

Interesting. No time to read now. Will come back.

Just found this article, didn’t read yet, except the summary.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder and delusions revisited | The British Journal of Psychiatry | Cambridge Core

I was just wondering now, whether my psychoses weren’t just a severe form of OCD. The style is always the same: “don’t look at this, don’t do this, don’t move your arm, don’t eat…etcetera… or something horrible will happen to you and your loved ones…only if you do the right stupid little thing, you will prevent harm.”

Perhaps this is kind of OCD in overdrive.

I feel it stems from upbringing and trauma (and perhaps genes). Both parents probably had OCPD and/or autism. I was bullied relentlessly, whenever I stepped a millimeter off the path my parents had in mind. Think: being told you are evil, ugly, crazy and everyone will reject you, and your dad will die, etc…for months, daily…for having protonmail rather than hotmail. Or wearing shoes they don’t like the fashion of. Or comforting your crying kid, so he sleeps ten minutes after his regular bed time.

I have heard more people with psychosis tell their family’s were like that. Come in OCD. My personal OCD stuff attacks myself, more so than others. I’m not very interested in controlling people. Rather dead scared to make mistakes and be punished for them, so making up rituals to prevent that. Which seems explainable from my background.

Meds also seem to have worsened my already OCD-ish character tremendously. Whereas keto diet lessens it.

6 Likes

Draw the line and place it very carefully in the right place please!

:smiley:

3 Likes

My dad had a bad temper too and would get mad over nothing. He also didn’t like my hobby being video games and computers until I got an interest in programming and he was supportive of that. I developed OCD at 13. Still love my dad though and he’s much better now.

3 Likes

That’s hard. I also do love my parents. My parents weren’t bad people. They both had very loving, gentle and warm sides. They did their very best, and if you know what background they came from, they gave me a lot of good things. They just had obsessive and rigid sides, like I have, but in a different way.

2 Likes

I think ocd and schizophrenia blend into each other in some cases. They can both fuel each other.

4 Likes

I have both and yes they blend together

2 Likes

I had a cpnp tell me I am schizoaffective, depressive type with obsessive features.

I believe that border fence has a hole for everyone.

1 Like

My first diagnosis was OCD at age 10. I couldnt be touched because everything that touched my body had to be symmetrical. So i was always hopping and evening things out. Then psychosis at age 11. And schizophrenia at age 16. I notice similarities.

3 Likes

I had something similar as a kid. If i scratched my arm, i had to scratch the other in the same way. Or if i touched my face. Etc.

1 Like

My pdoc reduced my meds to a very low level, 5mg clopixol tab daily. Getting some stickiness in my thought processes and body movements as a result, sort of like minor OCD. I’ve done a huge amount of emdr and cbt over the recent years so my thought content is remaining relatively normal, at least for now. Need to get the stickiness sorted out and reduced so that I don’t start deteriorating.

1 Like

I had that exact same symptom: everything had to be symmetrical. Around that age (it started after being abused by an uncle). I was not diagnosed.