Does psychosis itself really damage the brain?

by itself i mean untreated psychosis, there have been no proof that psychosis itself , if untreated ,causes damage/ shrinkage /loss of the brain tissue but the use of Aps definitely caused the issue , i really dun know, what ‘s your opinion? what if the damage of the brain is from the Aps withdrawal itself (when a person starts a Aps before) as there are no mri scan of the brian of a untreated schizophrenic , right ?Who knows ?

Actually

There is proof that psychosis damages the brain.

Its in a journal at least one of them one sec

2 Likes

http://schizophrenia.com/?p=692

1 Like

I don’t believe it does and anything that makes a person’s health worse, shouldn’t be allowed. I think mostly superficial people want to control people. All they ever do is show schizophrenics as criminals, when most are probably more sensitive than other people. Because insensitive people want to control things.

1 Like

sorry i can’t agree with you, mental illness is a real thing and it does exist,it is not about “sensitivity “ or not , it is about logic and thinking and clarity of mind

the cells in the brain can repair themselfs from psychosis in some cases

2 Likes

At least for 1/3 of people with schizophrenia, psychosis does not cause brain damage:

1 Like

Well, it doesn’t help.

1 Like

I thought it did but I’ve begun to wonder myself. I wish someone could outright say that it does or doesn’t. The same with Ap’s. Whether they do or don’t. They are both kind of important for deciding how much Ap’s to take. Whether or not having the minimum effective dose is important or not. It’s pretty important information for making decisions of care and it all seems to be in conflict depending upon which study you read. It’s frustrating.

2 Likes

Yes, untreated psychosis can damage the brain.

1 Like

I do feel dumber after my last psychosis, cant work properly and get more tired

1 Like

Schizophrenia causes brain damage…ap’s stop the brain damage.

I believe psychosis is just a brain process of malfunction. The symptoms are sz. And the damage is what happens if it is left to not fix itself either via itself or via medication.

I’m willing to accept the fact that psychosis probably causes brain damage but there are also studies that show that Ap’s can also cause brain damage. So where can you go with that conflicting information?

1 Like

I guess you go with what I’ve thought for awhile: Take the minimum dose that keeps you from having Psychosis and keeps the side effects from the Ap’s to a minimum. Thats the conclusion I keep coming back to.

1 Like

The brain can change and heal, even after long term psychosis, depression or brain damage.

1 Like

I think a lot of that varies from individual to individual. The med’s have different effects on different people. Some people say they like the typical antipsychotics, which I find amazing. Personally, I think I function better, cognitively, when I am on Geodon and Seroquel. Those drugs weaken me so much, physically, though. It’s easy to understand why so many people have mixed feelings about the med’s.

1 Like

I went untreated for 15 years and my IQ went up 6 points on the same mensa test.
People like to cite a series of studies proving a 5% loss of IQ in a certain amount of time but 5% is an error level, not a genuine result, it could just as easily have been plus 5% overall.

How is an IQ test greater than 95% accurate anyway when everything changes in years going by?

I have done approximately 10 IQ tests in 20 yrs and I have had a deviation of 26 points overall.
Luckily they all went up gradually.

Thinking a lot does not damage the brain unless you are thinking something repeatedly that will make you slower because you are severely stressed out by it. Learning to deviate your delusions towards truth may not be possible if you are not a very logical person, so in that event your IQ may very well go down because you have spent years believing horrible stuff without actually denying it yourself.

Anyway I will shut up now.
I am about to delete my account because personal histories are not accepted on this site if you do not push meds. (even if you do not try to get people to stop).

Goodbye, and sorry to all for not knowing the rules 2.5 yrs ago when I replied to someone who advised I should kill myself with an insult. As ridiculous as it sounds, you get flagged if you defend yourself. I did not know that. And also sorry for the post about sniffing panties, I was just being silly because it amused me at the time in my partly delusional state (I was on meds but the minimal dose) and I do no such thing really, not that I care what you all think.
/out

1 Like

but have u went on meds before ?

i think there are yet to be any proof of psychosis damage the brian because it is hard to find a naive patient with untreated psychosis and do a mri for it but i think there is no dispute that untreated psychosis , levae worst outcome as time goes by