Does anybody do art therapy?

I’m thinking of putting my name down for art therapy. the fly in the ointment is my ability to keep weekly appointments though.

Look. If some guy named Arthur is bothering you, then yeah, by all means go get some Art Therapy!

2 Likes

I know…

BOO!!

Art therapy is cool, you should definitely try it, might do you good.

2 Likes

I find art therapy very helpful. Give it a try.

2 Likes

I know they say it’s about expression rather than talent but I’m very conscious that I draw and paint like a 6 year old. @Minnii I hope you enjoy it.

2 Likes

I draw fairly well but still often struggle to actually express anything in artwork. You would probably be better at expressing yourself than me in such a class. There are different avenues of “talent” and being able to draw a realistic squirrel is only one trivial form of it.

I can paint different coloured blobs.

In the current state of contemporary art, that can sell for millions :smile:

1 Like

A lot of people like that sort of thing, though, so you shouldn’t dismiss it as a total lack of talent. I’ve noticed that often in therapy offices and waiting room, the artwork is less about realism and detail, and more about mood and expression. All throughout grade school, that was something I noticed about all of us artsy types in classes. Some classmates would create really interesting or emotional pieces, while my work was usually very boring with no soul in it. When I would try to put emotion into my art, is always just looked like some typical teenage edgelord desktop background lol. I often liked the work of some of my peers a lot more than my own. You shouldn’t let self-doubt about your style hold you back. The world doesn’t even need any more realistic portraits or anything now that we have cameras.

1 Like

I did art therapy in my mid-twenties and it’s second to CBT for efficacy for me. I respond to creating images and finding symbolism, etc. I would absolutely recommend it! Hope you find it helpful!

1 Like

Picasso wrote that every child is born an artist, the problem is trying to stay one. For me, creating art is one of the biggest lifelines to this reality

1 Like

Kinda figure Picasso would say that…after all his paintings were very childlike. At least to my eye anyways.

Here’s an example of his work. I think you’ll see what I’m getting at.

1 Like

Nice👍🏿
Van Gogh, Frida kahlo, the surrealists, German expressionist, Leonard baskin, they are some of my favorites also. Never let anyone tell you that what you create isn’t good because that’s a lie. It is an expression of who you are and what you experience, think, believe. It is an extension of your being, a gift to this world

1 Like

I leather craft as my art when I get really stressed. I can hermit leather craft for a long period of time. I made this for my friend and later gave it her as a gift when I was stressed. It is her favorite game characters in wallet form XD

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.