Do you work?

Do you work?

I’m struggling to concentrate so I’m off work sick but I’m wondering if I should give up on work and accept my disability.

I’m a software engineer, I need my mind to think.

6 Likes

I’m a software engineer too. It’s hard at times to deal with the stress. Lately the work load has been easier for me to handle but it’s not always the case. I often consider quitting and looking for an easier job like translator or part-time tutor.

You know yourself best. Do what you think is right but don’t push yourself past a certain limit. You might relapse or experience depression.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I work. I’m worried I’m going to lose my job soon, like this week, but I guess I’ll see what happens. I don’t move fast enough at work. These meds make my movements all sluggish and ■■■■, not to mention being a perfectionist works against me gaining speed.

Normally I work two part-time jobs, one teaching at a community college, as well as a crap job. I couldn’t do online teaching, though, overwhelmed me. Maybe I’ll resume teaching when in-person classes resume, but that probably won’t be until next fall at the earliest.

Psychiatrist I see always recommend me to continue working

1 Like

You may have to change the type of work you do. I used to work in Information Technology, but the stress of it was affecting my health. I’m now in insurance and find that, while the pay isn’t as good, it doesn’t affect my mental health as profoundly as my former career did.

Welcome to the community!

:blush:

3 Likes

This happened to me too!

What was it about the IT job that set you back?

No I don’t work. I’m on disability. The last job I had was at a summer camp for the severely disabled and I was painting houses with this guy. That was in my early 30’s. They let me go after a while though it wasn’t a long time. I worked janitorial position for the power company before this in my 20’s for a while until I burnt out. I feel like if my position had stayed part time I could have kept it. I’ve mostly relied on disability payments. I feel embarrassed by my long periods of unemployment so I don’t know what I could apply for if I wanted to work. I could go back to school I suppose. I have my GED so it would probably have to be community college. I don’t know I worked in my teens. Restaraunt and working at stores.

i want to start working this mnth or soon after. Imma try and work in something that does not require too much physical effort.

good luck, don’t give up with the work idea.

maybe switch what youd like to work in to something you can cope with.

i dont like depending on the gov tbh. as much as im VERY grateful for the support they have provided me :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:

I stopped working end of March 2020. I worked for 9 months in an accounting office as an accountant assistant. Its like an accountant except for some stuff like submitting info to the government and governmental software. I was on Latuda but since I switched to Risperdal I have no more motivation and stopped working. I am waiting for Vraylar to be put here in Canada before trying to work again.

1 Like

I don’t work at the moment but need to find a job as I’m divorcing. My pdoc says I can work but in a low stress job. I want to work from home doing proofreading and editing work. People have told me I write well and I love looking for errors in writing. My spelling is good.

1 Like

No, never again. I tried. I graduated high school during the great recession and then went to college, developed schizophrenia, and now we have COVID and I’m still ■■■■■■ up from schizophrenia and probably mk-ultra (if real) and alien abductions.

Works not important to me. I’ve been through a lot. Too much to be honest. Many lives, many worlds. Quantum immortality, but then trapped via consciousness uploading/mind uploading in an infinite loop with chronic, painful disability that resets. So no, I will collect my disability and do nothing with my life. Same thing with school. I believe I was ‘taken’ for lack of a better word against my will and I developed acute stress disorder that the doctors deny or are uneducated about developing into PTSD.

I got memories of too much stuff. People write it off as schizophrenia or delusions. I’m fine with that. I rather people not believe me anyways.

I get enough money and have enough entertainment and love and fun in life.

Welcome to the forum!!! I tried to work but couldn’t handle it. I’m on SSDI

Thanks for all your wonderful replies :smile:

I have to decide what I’m going to do, I have enough savings to ride it out for a few years but my career history will look patchy. I won’t quit my job, I’ll wait until they fire me.

I still believe evil spirits are responsible for schizophrenia.

1 Like

I do volunteer work a couple of days a week at the cricket club. It gives me something to do and some structure to my days and I don’t have to deal with the stress of working. I have been on a disability pension since 2004 apart from a short stint working in a bookshop.

It’s not a bad existence and I love my life. It’s a bit different from most folks I know but it’s rewarding and I enjoy myself.

1 Like

I experience depresdsion everyday.

I’m off sick from work right now. And I sleep all day.

Maybe you can find an easier IT related job. Like tester or quality control expert.

Which part of your work do you find the hardest? Following strict orders? Writing code? Debugging? Designing?

1 Like

I hope it goes well for you. I think sz is caused by spirits too.

Being micromanaged.

I used to work as a consultant, and I was trusted and expected to drive my own deliverables.

Now I’m managed and there’s no freedom to deliver things as I want to deliver them. I have to do it the company mandated way. There’s also lots of process behind getting things done. It sucks.

1 Like

Still waiting on SSDI.

I’m a full-time student.

1 Like