Do you take meds for racing thoughts?

I read they usually prescribe ssris. Just wondering what works for you.

5 Likes

Haldol slows my mind down a lot but it can cause bad side effects and what works for me might not work for you

4 Likes

I read that AP are supposed to help with racing thoughts well mine don’t work on those.

3 Likes

Definitely
I was very quick in general
My mind would race with thoughts/ideas etc
APs definitely put on the brakes there

4 Likes

I find that the ssri I take helps.Fluvoxamine

3 Likes

I sign up those thoughts for a marathon! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve real dangerous racing thoughts to wards myself and my surroundings. But Qutiapine 700 mgs slow them very much down. Yes the quell makes me almost empty headed.

1 Like

I take clozapine and Luvox.

2 Likes

I was put on Clonazepam back when a relative had to go through chemo-therapy (this drug is NOT Clozapine). I had stabbing head pains, I was so stressed out. The Clonazepam also made me sleepy and depressed, but it calmed me down (it could relax an elephant). I’ve been off it for five years now. I don’t miss it, but my mind can get busy with thoughts, not all of them my own. Just stray thoughts, looking for a home. I have to turn them away and they get lonely.

4 Likes

I’m on Clonazepam too for almost 10 years
Small dose, but if I miss it, I feel it badly within hours sometimes

1 Like

I wonder if racing thoughts is a part of sz. I mean it is a thought disorder. What do you think?

I looked up what causes racing thoughts. Here’s what Bing had to say (the link leads to a good article):

Racing thoughts are relentless and uncontrollable thoughts that seem to appear one after another 1. They can be a symptom of various conditions such as bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), sleep deprivation, amphetamine dependence, and hyperthyroidism 23. In less serious cases, self-care steps such as breathing exercises, mantras, and writing thoughts in a notebook or diary may be helpful 1. However, if racing thoughts are disrupting your daily life or causing problems with sleep, it is advisable to see a doctor 1. If you notice anxiety or panic attacks, strong compulsions, or rapid alterations in mood, please see a doctor immediately 1.

1 Like

My Perphenazine helps me with racing thoughts

2 Likes

Hum I’ve never heard of that. It’s it an antipsychotic?

1 Like

It is a old Phenothiazine class of Anti Psychotics that came out maybe in late 1950s

Is perphenazine a mood stabilizer?

This medication is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as schizophrenia, manic phase of bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder). This medicine helps you to think more clearly, feel less nervous, and take part in everyday life.

1 Like

I think olanzapine could help a lot of people with racing thoughts.

It could be sedating or calming.

1 Like

I don’t get racing thoughts.

Anything that works to dampen synaptic connectivity i.e. any general medication with depressant, sedative or mood stabilising effects. Many things come under these categories including antipsychotics and ssris. Makes you wonder what are people really doing when they are self medicating with stuff like benzodiazepines, alcohol and opioids, treating a symptom of their brain.

1 Like

I had benzos prescribed but there has to be another way to calm the thoughts.

1 Like

Meditation for sure

1 Like