Do you have problems with isolation?

I get way to anxious about ordinary, daily things, and I’m pretty sure it is because I spend so much time alone. When you do that ordinary problems gain enormous size. Confrontations are difficult and often avoided. When I’ve been out in the world I don’t have these problems. But I want to be a writer, and to do that I need a lot of time alone. That’s just the way I work. I guess I can live with the uneasiness.

8 Likes

I spend a lot of time alone. Thinking. I don’t think that’s good for me either. It indeed leads to small issues growing to enormous proportions. I try to DO more at home now…like cleaning or washing or making a puzzle. And go out more. Volunteering, socializing, doing fun things with kid. If I want to write (I’m not that good yet), I often go to a coffee bar or the library…the change of environment helps me get away from my own mind.

4 Likes

I used to have big problems with isolation, I never seen people for months apart from my sister who used to clean for me and keep me company. Since I moved into a group home its much better. I have staff everyday and they encourage me to interact with other people.

4 Likes

i spend all my time alone and it does make things harder its like digging a hole u cant climb out of

4 Likes

Yes I’m always by myself

2 Likes

Writing is good for the mind. It rejuvenates it. I would be a writer if it weren’t for my musical instruments. I’m so feeble I can’t do both though I think I can manage some drawing.

1 Like

Yeah im the same. Im lucky i live with my gf otherwise id be alone 24/7 aside from appointments and whatnot.

1 Like

I like to talk on the phone but not very much in person. Its been getting better. I isolate quite a bit.

Yup, then you want to socialize and feel like an alien :alien:

1 Like

I isolate too much.

At times, I don’t mind because I’ve learned to be okay with my own company.

Yet other times, it gets rough and lonely.

It’s gotten to the point where even “micro interactions” like passing hellos with neighbors take up too much room in my head.

3 Likes

I like to be alone a lot too. Especially if I’m working on something like music. I used to be able to go say a month at a time without really talking to anyone. These days it’s different as I’ve gained a lot of online friends atleast, so I’m chatting pretty much every day.

3 Likes

I AM an alien :alien: :smile:

3 Likes

Yes, it’s like when somebody’s in that creative zone, they just focus on what they’re making and the outside world gets put on hold.

:+1:

I will say this forum does help with feeling less isolated for sure. Personally, I still get nervous sometimes posting and stuff— is it possible to have social anxiety online? Haha. But yea, online friends are pretty important for sure :+1:

3 Likes

I isolate a lot too. It is hard with SZ and anxiety. But I am working on this.

2 Likes

:100: 151515151515

2 Likes

Can’t be a loner if you befriend all the other loners

download (4)

4 Likes

I agree the forum helps! I never get to talk so openly to anyone about all of this. Thank you to everyone here!

2 Likes

I have problems with isolation.

At 36, nearly all of my friends have moved on in life, started families, or just completely went off the deep end in crime and drug using, so there isn’t really anyone I can relate to anymore. Also at this age, it’s not like your 20’s where friends are easy to come by.

I tried joining church groups, bible studies, etc, and the best I could find are mild acquaintances that call you up once every few months to ask you to help move a fridge into their house or something of that nature.

It’s not like in my teens and 20’s where people just wanted to hang out and chill and watch a movie with you. You know what I mean?

Luckily the internet gives me a sort of pseudo feeling of companionship with others struggling.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.