Do antidepressants reduce motivation, ambition and drive?

I’m on paxil and feel as if the drugs are messing with my reward system. Usually I would get fed up with being in a sh-itty situation and I would do something about it. Now there’s nothing. Instead I’m mindlessly browsing things online and I’m content with that.

I haven’t cleaned, done laundry, taken a shower etc…

I understand negs contribute to being lethargic…

But I used to work out because I had a inner drive that made me want to do things like going to the gym. Now there’s nothing.

I’m glad it’s been a long time since I had a panic attack. I can’t stop the meds because of this reason.

I just hate that I feel like everything is ok when in fact it’s not.

I’m thinking that these pills are making me lazy.

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

i think they can. in about 2020 near the end i started taking prozac because i was constantly panicked. i didnt get it from a doctor. i took old pills that a family members dog used to take for aggression. they did come from a pharmacy tho and not from the vet. they were the same thing.

at first it was great. all my anxiety went away. but after 6 months my thought voice went away too. and i quit talking. i felt very numb. i cant remember how my motivation was and stuff. but i weaned myself off around month 9. so i think because of the numbing effect its possible.

now tho without meds i got no motivation either or anything. i just took a shower today after almost 3 weeks because a family member was complaining that i smelled bad. i vacuum or sweep maybe once a year and i just dont care about anything. so its hard to know whats SZ and what is side effects. i had more motivation on prozac than i do now, but i had more motivation before i took it too. i think over the last 3 years my motivation has been on a steady decline. ive never felt like this in my life

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I feel. Like I lack an inner drive. I have motivation to do fun stuff. But things that usually would piss me off like having a pile of dishes, or gaining too much weight would get me going because I was fed up with my situation. That I lack!

I wish I could do something about my panic attacks and quit this sh-it drug. I guess I’m stuck with my treatment.

for me i dont believe that im having some sort of permanate damage from taking the SSRI. i just think the negs are getting worse and it is unrelated. so that is good i guess for people taking it. you might be able to try a different AD? also for me, the panic decreased after the prozac. idk if it just rested my nervous system or what and it reset or something and made new habits or something.

1 Like

I was on Sertraline 200mg for over 20 years. And if anything they should improve your motivation. I think there is some underlying psychological cause that you haven’t discovered yet in yourself.

Maybe your just over-analysing it. You could just be happy to doss about.

Whatever it is, dont beat yourself up about it. If your house is dirty, thats what cleaning company’s are for.

1 Like

Antidepressants should give you more motivation, ambition and drive. It is depression itself which takes away motivation, ambition and drive.
@Speedy @Naarai @irrelevant

3 Likes

theres a good youtube channel for anxiety…its called Therapy in a Nutshell. there is a whole course a therapist made on anxiety. it explains how anxiety happens, and how the cycle keeps going, and has tips to break the cycle. i think its really good. ive taken some of the tips. and try to use them

1 Like

yeah idk how it affected my motivation. my motivation over the last 3 years has gone to almost zero and that was after the SSRI. and i had more motivation before it too. but i dont feel that it is depression. i think its the negs. i dont feel depressed.

2 Likes

oh and another important thing ill put here that my last doctor told me

how to tell if its depression or negs: if it bothers u she said it is depression. and if u dont care about ur loss of motivation, enjoyment, drive and stuff then it is negative symptoms.

2 Likes

Thing is. And call me out on it, if you wish. But i simply dont believe this “negs” bollox, people keep spouting with schizophrenia. All it means is, you simply cant be arsed.

Which is ok. But the problem with an MI, is that your taught to analyse everything, with the idea of recovering. But its OK not to give a toss. So what if you havent cleaned your house for a week, or done the dishes, or whatever.

Many normies do the same - but they dont beat themselves up about it.

2 Likes

If you don’t feel sad and depressed, and you feel amotivated and apathetic, and if you are sz or sza, then its probably just negative symptoms.
@irrelevant

2 Likes

yeah im SZ. im sure its negs. or some effect of using APs for so long. prob negs. noticed a big change in my brain over the past 3-5 years. especially the past 3.

1 Like

What does “arsed” mean??

1 Like

Fluoxetine has helped me. Im probably on it for life now

1 Like

na. its a real thing. how long have u had schizophrenia? maybe it hasnt hit u yet. maybe it never will…if it doesnt u will be lucky

2 Likes

basically means “can’t be bothered” to do something.

3 Likes

For the record, ive had it close to 26 years. There is a tendency to over analyse our condition. We all need to chill out and relax more. And not worry about our own personal limitations.

2 Likes

im not worried about it. if i was it would likely be depression. negs work by lowering motivation while also decreasing reward, both of those are closely linked with dopamine. so idk why u would doubt it as a thing. if u have low motivation and feel no reward, u are not gonna do anything.

it feels like u do not care AT ALL about anything. like if u smell, u dont care. u dont care what people think about it. taking a shower feels hard to organize in ur mind. and feels like a lot of effort. then u lack motivation. and u also feel no reward in being clean. which leads u to have no drive to do it.

motivation & reward leads to drive and how much effort u are willing to put in

2 Likes

Thank you guys for your input.

I have been reading online that apathy is a common side- effect from antidepressants. But what I have isn’t apathy nor is it the negs.

Perhaps it’s a philosophical question? like lacking libido, passion and inner drive?? Perhaps I just lack these as a person. Perhaps it’s a sign of getting older, I’m 41.

But tbh I’m not happy being like this. I want to change.

You guys mention that even normies struggle with this and that they don’t care. I don’t know? My place is really a mess.

Thank you @Naarai @irrelevant @SkinnyMe @AppleKidd .

3 Likes

this can be from SSRIs for sure. its a known side effect

1 Like