Disabled Americans may want to save their stimulus money in an ABLE account

2 Likes

there is still an age limit right? i dont qualify i don’t think.

2 Likes

I thought this was for children?

I’ve no idea. Here’s some more information.

Yeah, pretty sure ABLE accounts are for children.

Google says :

ABLE accounts are intended to help both children and grown adults. The main rule is that a beneficiary’s disability must be diagnosed before their 26th birthday. … Contributions to ABLE accounts are limited to the federal gift tax exclusion amount, which is $15,000 in 2018

1 Like

I was awarded ssdi in August of 2012. I turned 26 July of 2012. :-1:

2 Likes

i missed it by a year, but was probably prodromal at 20 when i was paranoid about the patriot act, and disorganized, extreme anxiety and social withdrawal. among other things. i never saw a psychiatrist though, didn’t have the insight to do so, but actually i functioned pretty good for a few years in my 20’s working 60 hours a week, so maybe i wasn’t prodromal. i don’t know, but i don’t qualify.

1 Like

Were you diagnosed by a psychiatrist before your 26th birthday ?

I must have been. But I don’t have any of those records anymore.

1 Like

The government probably has them as you’d have to supply it to them to get benefits in the first place.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever decision you make.

1 Like

I’m going to try to apply. What’s the worst that happens? I get denied? Lol

2 Likes

Let us know how it goes !

1 Like

one thing i read about it that you may want to know, is upon your death the money in the account may return to the govt, depending on your medicaid costs. just a fyi. but it would be nice to have while living, but i don’t think little led would inherit the money.

1 Like

Well damn. That sucks.

1 Like

yeah but don’t take my word for it, that is just what i read, you would probably need to talk to a disability lawyer to get all the facts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.