Did you learn any new skill post diagnosis?

How has your recovery process been post diagnosis? Do you feel motivated to learn anything new.

Personally I could not bring myself to learn something new because of lack of self drive and motivation.

3 Likes

Yes I learnt how to play Chess since being diagnosed. I also took my A2’s early in my condition [I prefer the term ‘condition’ to illness] the second year of UK A-levels, taken during 17-18 and did so via distance learning. I pushed up my grades from a D and an E to a C and a D. I remember reading on a UK website called ‘The Student Room’ about someone with schizophrenia who is working on the Large Hadron Collider [LHC] in Switzerland. So it’s certainly possible. Personally, I have wasted a fair amount of time studying Mathematics, I’m honestly not that good at it, so should have focused my time on something more productive. But I have plenty of recreational Mathematics books, so I might as well read them. I have been working on my sleep, I used to sleep in until 2pm each day, I now get up at 1pm which is a little better. It’s strange because in the depths of psychosis I normally find it very difficult to sleep.

4 Likes

I learned to write poetry, song lyrics, and basic music, among other things.

I also developed some Android apps. I also wrote a Jython app, some Lua code, some JavaScript programs, and some smart glasses programs. I guess I’ve kept learning about software development.

4 Likes

Oh that’s really good. It’s really inspiring. Also do you watch football since you are from UK?

I support Liverpool.

1 Like

That’s great. For me actually I have always wanted to learn coding but couldn’t do it.

This is inspiring.

1 Like

I was very good at football before having schizophrenia. I was very quick and had quite good ball control. I support Arsenal. I haven’t followed football in quite some time though, I should get back to following it, it’s a healthy interest.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your story.

So you support arsenal huh… There is Liverpool Vs arsenal coming in tomorrow. :wink:

1 Like

I’m working on my social skills. I find it very hard to learn new things now.

3 Likes

No infact I have lost most of my skills post-schizophrenia.

3 Likes

I tried to learn how to drive. I can pretty much drive but I didn’t learn the road rules and lockdown started so I didn’t progress it anymore.

otherwise I’m a student of economics, I’ve tried to learn economics and maths. I haven’t done anything new as of yet. But this is where I expect to learn new skills. Maths for example, god willing.

4 Likes

I’ve worked hard on improving my social skills, if that counts.
I’ve also learned new painting techniques, and I can knit socks without looking at a recipe

5 Likes

My grammar and speaking skills and English comprehension has taken a huge hit. Same thing with my listening skills. But I tried to learn programming and computer science at a high level and it’s ■■■■■■■ hard especially with schizophrenia. Learning new things is hard and especially retaining that information.

There’s certain things I just cannot do like be an actuary.

3 Likes

I dabbled with code and can program basic things at a basic level like probably could finish CS50 some day if I went back, but I don’t have the cognitive abilities to do projects and lead them and develop things as a career or job for a big company or make tons of money. I still don’t understand memory allocation/management so far. I quit at that level with C.

5 Likes

Since I was diagnosed the first time at 15, almost 16, yes. I’ve learned a lot of skills.

Since my psychotic breakdown a few years ago, no.

3 Likes

I’ve learned how to play warhammer. Paint warhammer. Play board games. And now I’m learning dungeons and dragons.

5 Likes

I guess I learned a little improv from D&D

I don’t really have a skill that I didn’t already have before though.

4 Likes

Yes. I want to clarify though that I don’t take medications.
People who take them might have it worse than me.

Music production, Web Design, although I’m not doing either professionally at this point.

4 Likes

I finished several distant learning courses related to herbal medicine and supplements. The last course I took was supposed to take 1 year at most, but I had to extend it to 1 1/2 year to get finished, because I have struggled with motivation and being drowsy from the drugs. I turned in my last assingment today. Hope I pass. I also have played and sung several new songs(by other artists), but I’m struggling to remember them, so I pretty much need the sheet music to play.

2 Likes

I got my airframes and Powerplant licenses. For Aircraft mechanic.

1 Like