Did Either or Both of Your Parent Smoke Weed Before You Were Born

My Dad smoked pot before I was born and quit after having a brief psychotic episode. As far as I know his psychosis ceased soon afterwards. My Mom didn’t smoke the stuff and neither did I.

My parents were baby boomers so yeah they smoked pot :rofl:. Not as much as me tho.

2 Likes

My father was in the 82nd Airborne in the Special Services of the Army before I was born. He was a sniper and a very good one. Part of his job was skydiving with a parachute on. He told his family that in order to release inhibitions, the guys would smoke marijuana before jumping out of the plane. He had this role both in Korea and in Vietnam.

My mother never touched pot.

2 Likes

My dads a lot like me, he has a bad time if he smokes pot. But yeah i guess they both did before i was born.you thinking that may have something to do with schizophrenia?

I don’t know if it does really. Both my brothers turned out OK. But with all the focus on the Mother that they do I find it interesting that all four of us who have written to this thread are mentioning our fathers here.

Ha! I don’t know. My dad was born in 1930, my mom in 1936. So as they grew up I think the only people who smoked marijuana were jazz musicians. My dad was cool and a nice guy but he got around and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he had smoked “reefer” back in the fifties or sixties. I know in his forties and fifties he had experiences with it and I know when he was diagnosed with cancer in his seventies he smoked pot to ease pain. Life is cruel.

maybe just a weird genetic thing that only passes on sometimes. after all, most people enjoy weed and never experience psychosis from smoking. it makes sense that if parents had a bad reaction to it, their kids would. i have wondered about this before.

It is weird to think about. wonder if my parents had never touched drugs, i’d be okay today.

I know i would if i’d never done drugs.

Feel as if i simultaneously expanded my mind and caused it to fall apart.

1 Like

@Blizzard, @Jonnybegood, @Catch22 My ex husband and I were both baby boomers, although I was on the tail end of the baby boom. We both smoked a lot of pot before our son was born. Our son became paranoid sz when he was about 19 years old and he was an early pot smoker himself. I don’t know how early he started though. And he was a very heavy pot smoker. Much worse than his dad or me. He used to smoke these things called “blunts” that were shaped like long, thick cigars. I honestly don’t know how these kids could tolerate that much dope. But, they did. And, my son dropped acid too. That’s something his father did as a young hippie. I never touched acid my whole life nor any other illegal drug. My son’s pdoc told him that if you drop acid twelve times you are automatically sz.

2 Likes

My friends dad gave me some super strong weed with lots of oil in it or something when I was 19.
That put me in like a derealization psychosis for 1 year. I didn’t hear voices then. Everything just looked warped and my hearing would get all messed up for a year.
Then I drank it away somehow. Brain chemistry change of some sort.
Then I messed it up again big time when I was 22 with ectasy/meth drugs.

Drugs is no good. Drugs is bad.

2 Likes

So you think the drug use might be a cause?
I just find it strange how some people can smoke weed, do psychedelics, and be fine. no loss of reality afterwards, or lingering effects.
Maybe some kind of gene mutation, passed down.
I’m aware my parents smoked weed and did acid well before i was born.
I smoked pot heavily before the psychosis hit.
I’ve also known a few people who dropped acid, had bad trips, and lost their minds.Don’t leave the house or talk to anyone anymore.
Not everyone obviously. But certain people must already be predisposed to psychosis, and it’s just dormant until we trigger it. I wonder if that predisposition is from parents who did a lot of drugs. it’s not impossible.

1 Like

That’s a myth!!! Look at John Lennon Jerry Garcia a billion other examples probably.

1 Like

Another myth. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

yes you’re probably very right!

1 Like

Before you call it a myth read the bio of George Carlin who was a self described schizophrenic who never sought treatment and self medicated on drugs. It didn’t stop him from being a star but his personal life and the way he treated his daughter was messed up.

It’s just not automatic. There’s so many factors. If you trip 1 tab eleven times and have no bad trips you are good UNLESS you have a predisposition to sz. Honestly I heard if you trip seven times you’re clinically insane. Not eleven. So the mythic stories vary. I’m not condoning lsd by any means but there’s a lot of ■■■■■■■■ about it. I heard voices many times BEFORE I ever took lsd or mushrooms and it took the 9th trip to make me really insane. But that was only because people broke into my house and ■■■■■■ with me for 8 hours straight while tripping. It’s a myth and I don’t say people who have 11 lsd trips don’t suffer from other issues like many become egomaniacs but Timothy Leary, Albert Hoffman, many people didn’t become crazy. Also these guys r doing other drugs probably. There’s zero concrete evidence to it being true. In fact in your non schizophrenic individual, lsd can be beneficial for anxiety, depression, other things. If you’re an LSD addict, it’s hard to not get some psychiatric issues but only 10% of users become addicted to lsd. Most are responsible about it. My friend has tripped probably 50 times he has no mental issues and is a truck driver making $500 a day. Not condoning it but there’s a lot of scare tactics our society uses about drugs. The dangers are evident. No need to lie but they do.

1 Like

There are better things to do in life than waste it doing drugs though that’s more the consensus

3 Likes

the first time my mom saw cannabis was when she confiscated my stash hidden in my room. I often wonder if she threw it out, or did she smoke some. she says she never smoked.

to this day she claims ignorance about pot. my dad is probably a similar story although I’ve never asked him about it. funny thing is, she says her friends smoked growing up but she never joined in…“what a soldier”

1 Like

Nah man most ppl who abuse drugs or alcohol are self medicating trauma/mental illness/personality issues or a combo of all three. Consider yourself lucky you didn’t have to do such a thing. You’d be hard pressed to find an addict who wanted to just waste their life away with such things. Usually there’s underlying issues they’re self medicating. I know my addiction was a three step process. Issues lead to medicating myself which lead to sobriety and recovery which I’m in a better place now than I’ve ever been in. These drugs helped me as long as I stay sober now. If that makes sense. Does to me but if you’ve never experienced something it’s easy to possess ignorance. You wouldn’t want people to judge you for your mental illness!! Why would u judge something you don’t understand?? No type of stigma is OK. In my opinion

2 Likes

Not judging I just personally believe it is a waste. To each their own. You want to do a bunch of drugs your whole life and feel it helps then by all means do it up.

Just not for me. I guess you could say my drug of choice is adrenaline? Extreme sports.
Lots of people say extreme sports people are insane and stupid, foolish.
Do i care? Nope lol I love it :yum::smiley:

Like I said just personal choice man.

2 Likes

Nope :-1:. It’s a five step process. ■■■■■■ up mentally—->use drugs—->get clean—>??—->profit

Drugs were the answer. Sobriety is the solution. I know that doesn’t make sense but it does to me. Drugs were a necessity for medicating my ptsd. Comes a time I was no longer balancing the self medicating and I was left with just addiction. Now I can be successful sober. Everything happened for a reason for me. There’s nothing that I did for no reason. Everything makes sense that I did and I’m better off for it.

1 Like