David Lee Roth w/ Van Halen better than Sammy Hagar?

I only listen to David Lee Roth fronting Van Halen but that was what I grew up on…never liked Sammy’s Van Halen.

2 Likes

Still not the biggest fan of either, @jukebox, but one of the artists I’ve had an affinity for at least some of their music. But, even looking at it from my perspective, Van Hagar had a more mature sound in terms of lyrics. I know a lot of Van Halen fans prefer Diamond Dave, though, like yourself.

2 Likes

yes, my sister grew up on Van Hagar, she loves them…just didn’t like they dropped Dave…even though I think he was some kind of jerk. haha same with Axl Rose, hate him but love his voice.

2 Likes

Speaking of Axl and G n R, even relating to Van Hagar for me, I remember reading somewhere online I think about Slash when he first heard Aerosmith’s “ Rocks” that “it hit me like a ****ing brick.” Well, I think that’s what the video for “(Don’t Tell Me) What Love Can Do” did to me.Just so powerful.

2 Likes

I never really liked David Lee Roth or Van Halen.

3 Likes

Kurt Cobain said “rocks is a mighty fine album”…“rocks” by Aerosmith is one of my fave records…that with “toys in the attic” and “draw the line”…love it…

3 Likes

Yeah, Aerosmith and G n R are at least 2 parts of my musical roots. In fact that whole scene that was the hair metal and classic hard rock that was popular in the late 80s and early 90s.

2 Likes

i listen to “use your illusion” both albums in full all the time, that and “appetite for destruction”.

2 Likes

“Appetite” was my first popular music album, although, in hindsight, it should have been something like “The Joshua Tree” or “… Nothing Like the Sun” by Sting. Coincidentally, they were all released in 1987, lol!

2 Likes

those are all great albums…love Sting’s solo work, especially “ten summoner’s tales”, and “dream of the blue turtles”…“the joshua tree” came out when I was so into U2 back then…thanks for reminding me.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Police were groundbreaking in their day but, as edgy as some my tastes still are, they could be kind of creepy. So, yeah I prefer his solo work as well in that it’s still serious; high minded, just not as heady.

2 Likes

I saw the “synchronicity” tour twice in the same year my freshman year in college. they were so on cue with live music. I was really impressed. Sting is a bad ass.

2 Likes

I liked David lee Roth singing for Van Halen especially the jump album. I also liked the 5150 album with sammy hagar.

2 Likes

Sammy Hagar was good in Montrose and a few of his solo songs but by the time he got to Van Halen his voice was screechy and annoying.
David Lee Roth was a jerk but he was perfect as a frontman for Van Halen.

3 Likes

To nobody’s surprise the Butthole Surfers tore an Edison canister-sized hole through the 80’s rock charts with albums like “Locust Abortion Technition” and “Rembrandt Pussyhorse”, solidifying their vicegrip hold on the airwaves with songs like “Pepper”. And it’s only gotten better from there!

3 Likes

Both are acceptable.

2 Likes

I tend to disagree. The height of Californian Cock Rock was Hot For Teacher. David Lee Roth was the front man and thus your arguments are invalid. Case closed :joy:

4 Likes

David Lee Roth in my opinion was better.

3 Likes

yayyy…this thread was great. thanks you guys. looks like David Lee Roth won…haha

1 Like

I liked David Lee Roth better. But Sammy was okay. Saw David Lee Roth several times solo in night clubs in my 20s. I liked I can’t drive 55. Cool cruising tune. That was Hagar. I loved Yankee Rose also. I think Dave did that solo.

Took my son to see Van Halen in about 2007 in San Diego at UCSD I believe. David Lee Roth was the singer. Eddie Van Halen’s son was playing the bass. I think that was their last tour. Never heard of another one.

He loved it.

2 Likes