Creativity vs. Intelligence

Intelligence vs creativity, what is more important and why? Do you think they can be learned or are they intrinsic?

3 Likes

I dont think one is more important than the other. I think you use what you have and work on what you dont have. I think some of it is intrinsic and some of it is learned.

2 Likes

I believe creativity comes from intelligence and it is not intrinsic. It is based on various factors just like mental illness itā€™s hard to define how it is imbibed.

We all have a ceiling re our intelligence/IQ. We canā€™t do better than that. Itā€™s not something we achieve on a regular basis. What can do with a better mindset is a better job of maximising our potential. Iā€™ll admit my mindset stank when I first joined the ā€˜high IQā€™ community; answers had to come to me quickly and easily or Iā€™d wave a cognitive white flag. I was quite rightly told I needed to improve my attitude. That improved mindset means I do better, cognitively speaking,on an average day than I did before. A person with a great mindset ,someone I admire a lot, is @shutterbug .

4 Likes

All I know is that creativity saved my life while psychotic. Meds killed the creativity in me though. I still try on occasion but when I was psychotic I did 30-50 paintings and filled a whole sketchbook.

I know I am at least somewhat intelligent. There are of course things I am markedly more intelligent about and less so in other forms. I donā€™t put a lot of stock into it, while trying to learn what I can, when I can.

All that matters is I can live on my own while battling my demons and still take care of myself and my dog. Sometimes even able to help my friends and family.

I think people are given various talentsā€¦and you canā€™t say one is more important than the other. Itā€™s how you develop and use them. One can use their talents for extremely destructive to extremely beneficial thingsā€¦and everything in between. It depends on how you use them, which is more important. And the task/situation you are using them for.

I think it starts with intrinsic talents. But can be either developped or suppressed. Depending on both the environment one grows up in. And oneā€™s own life choices and mindset, as @firemonkey says.

I also feelā€¦talents often come hand in hand with vulnerabilities. How you navigate that, also decides how useful they are.

I think that you need an aptitude for both, and you have to develop them in order to get something worthwhile. It helps your creativity a lot if you have good ā€œgeneral background intelligenceā€. An Israeli general in the Yom Kippur War won a crucial battle because he knew where an ancient Roman road was located. You never know when some tidbit of knowledge is going to have a giant impact. Einstein believed imagination is more important than intelligence.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.