Schizophrenia.com

Counteracting Effects of Glutathione on the Glutamate-Driven Excitation/Inhibition Imbalance

Our model explains how higher levels of GSH [glutathione] can reverse the downstream pathophysiological effects of a hyperglutamatergic state in FES [first episode psychosis]. This provides an initial insight into the possible mechanistic effect of antioxidant system on the excitatory overdrive in the salience network (dACC-AI).

2 Likes

I read the article and still have no idea what I read. Too many abbreviations and unfamiliar words. FES…GSH… 7T MRS…NMDA…dACC … spectral dynamic causal modeling…all very confusing.

2 Likes

I just know that, its a brain receptor like dopamine receptors. I think its stimulatory and uses Glutamine neurotransmitter? I studied receptors and neurotransmitters in university, I had one neuroscience course in our physiotherapy program.

1 Like

I just read that glutamine gets converted to glutamate in the brain.

1 Like

Yeah, I have heard of NMDA before…it was about the only familiar abbreviation in the article though…still didnt grasp the message of the article. :grimacing:

1 Like

I think its about how antioxidants, Glutathione, benefits sz. I don’t think it will treat my negative symptoms lol You need tons of studies on the same thing and FDA approval after 3 clinical trials to have something solid.

1 Like

Yes, it’s very confusing, but this could be one of the reasons why NAC seems to be effective; it is a precursor to glutathione.

It also isn’t universal,

This antioxidant protection is reportedly aberrant in schizophrenia, with some patients having a notable reduction of GSH in the brain [4,5,6] and others with relatively better outcomes having higher than expected levels [7].

1 Like