Cognitive symptoms anyone?

Does anyone else have problems with cognitive symptoms from sz?

I heard of the new med coming to treat it. Will anyone here be trying it?

Here is a handy image about sz cognitive symptoms. I really relate. “Poor memory, Impaired attention, poor comprehension, Impaired learning, Executive dysfunction”

3 Likes

If It gets approved for state coverage in my country, Italy, and my psychiatrist suggests it, which is very unlikely, I might give it a try.

Otherwise I may ask about it as age related decline sets in and I can no longer maintain my current level of functioning.

Currently my cognitive symptoms are noticeable but they aren’t crippling as long as I get enough sleep. The tiniest sleep deprivation, though, pushes them into crippling territory; and I had to work to get to where I am now.

Plus, I noticed that over time if I don’t keep myself mentally “fit” through regular focused exercise my cognitive condition declines and hence I don’t know how much longer I will remain able to cope with them on my own.

I have mostly overcome the cognitive symptoms. Positive symptoms somewhat. I don’t feel like I have done much with the negative symptoms over the years to be honest. They still suck hard.

my cognitive symptoms are way way worse than my positive and negative ones.
they’re one of the biggest hurdles I have to fight.

I wish there was something to help me with it.

I’ve always had cognitive strengths and relative weaknesses from as far back as I can remember. Certainly way before I became severely mentally ill. Severity wise the relative cognitive weaknesses have stayed very much at the same level as was prior to developing severe mental illness.

Re day to day functioning the worst by far have been difficulties organising and planning. Tasks requiring multiple steps to complete are my cognitive Achilles’ heel.

Yes, I have the negative symptoms and cognitive decline. But the meds help I guess with the cognition like memory.

Yes, and getting it midway through high school sucked for my grades. But for me, it was always a toss up between whether it was schizophrenia or ADD, as I have both and taking amphetamines tend to help my cognitive function.

1 Like

Caffeine and nicotine seems to help. I read that nicotine functions similar to the new karxt

Welcome @Brim

If you find yourself in need of help, just tag a moderator. Type the @ symbol, then our names

@Moonbeam, @Ninjastar, @Bowens and @voithos

If you have not discovered our official forum rules and read them yet, you can find them here.

Enjoy your stay with us!

1 Like

Are speaking about substances not allowed, my bad with that post.

I felt like I had dementia early on in my illness. I don’t, but flet like I lost IQ points. It’s impossible to tell how much, but maybe 10 points, so I’m still above average (110) but I see people with worse conditions doing better than me like working. I don’t know what else to do or say, really.