Schizophrenia.com

Charity work

Wondering if any of you have done some charity work?
I used to be involved in a little project where
people would organize sort of a bazaar to sell
things they don’t use anymore, and all money would be provided to the poor families…

Its far from curiosity, but doing good for
others does help in the way that is still
unexplainable to me.
And it also helps you to see things from the larger perspective: that our problems are just a tiny fragments in the whole mosaic of human’s suffering.

3 Likes

I do a lot of volunteer work in my daughter’s school. I’ve had to cut back some because of my new jobs, but I’m still going to be coaching youth archery and helping with the new Internet broadcasting project this year. I played a friendly ghost in this year’s Ghost Walk at the Museum in town. I’m also building them a new Web site at no charge. I’m a 4H leader and help out with teaching Cooking and Public Speaking. Finally, I volunteer on a local economic development advisory council.

Occasionally I sleep!

Pixel.

2 Likes

Powers and abilities: unearthly. :smiley:

If I get healthier I will definitely do volunteer work. I may just freelance my own community project where I pick up trash from off of lawns or parks. I don’t think my community has too much to offer, really.

2 Likes

We had a big wave of refugees here for the past month. Some of my friends were involved in activities to provide those people necessary things - they were coming without proper clothes, diaphers, hygiene, and food.
I have to force myself to do something beyond passive solidarity.

1 Like

how nice of you @Sarad shows how caring you are. @MrSquirrel you are like super human to me with as much as you do.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, its just a shadow of a careness I used to have.
Seems to me, lately, that all those social medias activism creates a concept of charity that for the most people ends up in ‘liking’ and ‘sharing’.

There was a good meme about it: a poor family is welcoming the charity workers who bring them a box full of " Facebook likes".
O.o

I’ve been known to help out at Habitat for Humanity.

1 Like

I did some volunteer work in a school for mentally ill kids, two summers in a row. I grew a lot as person, from the love that those kids have inside of them to the you wouldn’t believe the kinds of parents are out there…

Also helped the homeless in a few occasions with a van that brings them food. But I quit that because they would give them bad food.

2 Likes

I’ve donated money to Doctors Without Borders and Amnesty International, but it would probably be healthier to donate some of my spare time, also. I hate going out in public, though. I stay away from people mostly, so I probably won’t interact with them well.

1 Like

I volunteer on evenings a couple nights a week working with teenagers trying to overcome drug addiction. Hard but rewarding. Wish I’d had someone to help me through my drug problem

3 Likes

Have Compassion for all - Rich or Poor. Each has his own Suffering. ~ Gautama Buddha

I’ve worked at the SPCA a few times and have helped my Mother out with her CHKD group. I want to get into helping animals again. I like animals

4 Likes

will never ever forget in my life.

something happened in front of me…and I couldnt do anything.

never.

1 Like

Animals > Humans.

1 Like

Wow, that’s big! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Big? It’s just nice to help. People tend to feel better having a hand from those who’ve actually experienced the level of despair or trouble they’re in, I had no-one to help me through mine so I’m glad to be of some use now. It’s hard, with the illness and all, but worth it

sometimes us schiz’s don’t realize we take a lot even though we’ve had a lot taken from us so it’s good to give back instead of take take take giving back some type of thing that’s invaluable like charity is important. good on you for doing it.

1 Like

i work for a charity but I don’t think it counts I get paid