Can risperidone make me lazy?

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia 6 months ago with obsessive symptoms. I have been on fluoxetine 60 mg for a year and risperidone 2 mg for 6 months. My positive symptoms, headaches, and nausea disapeared; everything has seemed good recently.

After stopping working for a year, I’m now 25, unemployed, and currently seeking for a job. I feel I’m far lazier than I always was. I’m only enjoying surfing the internet at home, living day by day, not going outdoors. I’m not sure whether it’s because I stopped working for too long or it’s because the drugs do something with my motivation. The funny thing is that, I can exercise everyday, but can’t work seriously.

I’m feeling useless now. My doctor said I have to be on the drugs for at least a year. I really hate feeling lazy.

My meds turn me into a slug. That and I have hypothyroid and a Vit D deficiency. You’re not alone. I am totally lazy. Don’t even shower regularly. I am hoping my Vit D meds will help when they start working. It takes a few months unfortunately.

You will likely cycle in an out of amotivation, the meds with affect you cyclically. There is also the possibility this could get better i am two years into my schizohrenia life and my neurotransmission is still in a state of flux. I can still push myself to get things done. and i am getting good grades in my classes. too bad i dont have a job, I know kids my age who can study and do internships in the summer to pad their resume. I dont get shyt done generally until the due date and I sleep the motherflucking day away all the damn time. no consistency whatsoever, even on high medication doses.

I read a study actually which said Risperidone can exacerbate negative symptoms, but that was just one study. For different people different meds do different things, that is the way its always been. Risperidone for me was a bad chapter in life filled with negative symptoms, I wouldn’t go back to that for anything you could offer me.

Risperdal is a Heavy Hitting Antipsychotic, it binds to Dopamine tightly.
It can make you tired and Zaps the Energy right out of you.
I’m on 3mg of risperidone and I spend a lot of my time lying down on the couch.

But I keep telling myself that it’s keeping me out of the Hospital.

Yeah it’s doing its job.

3 Likes

Risperidone never made me lazy and neither did fluoxetine. But fluoxetine increases the amount of risperidone in your body by over double. Ssri’s can actually reduce motivation at higher doses, also mental illness can reduce motivation.

Risperdal made me very lazy. I’m on 3 mg

1 Like

Sounds like your doctor suspects that you had a psychotic episode and aren’t actually schizophrenic. That’s great news!!! 2mg is a fairly low dose. If your thoughts are normal, STAY ON THE DRUG AS LONG AS THE DOCTOR SAYS. you don’t want it to come back. believe me. please.

Risperidone made me more than just lazy, it sedated me to the point that I couldn’t do anything. When the doc lowered my dose I could do more things. Slowly and steadily I’ve recovered my function. Don’t worry for the lazinness. It will go away when you’re off meds, or when your dose be lowered.

Yeah it is pretty heavy hitting at first when I was on 4 mg I would sleep for over 16 hours. But after a while I got to the point I could tolerate it even when my pdoc raised it to 8 mg. still was zombifying though.

Risperidone made me lazy too… I’m on 2-4 mg… sometimes I can’t do much…

I’m on 37.5 mg of the injectable form of Risperdal. And I can get quite a bit done in a day. Like meditation, yoga, prayer, piano practice, reading. But, I can also waste an awful lot of time surfing the internet too. And skipping things like taking showers and washing my hair, grocery shopping and cleaning my apartment. So, it depends on how you want to look at it. I guess I’m half of a slug.