Can prebiotics assist in the management of cognition and weight gain in schizophrenia?

These are my 2 main areas of concern.

4 Likes

There was just an article linked about how previous are useless. There is always a study disproving another. Itā€™s crazy

2 Likes

Yeah I remember them. I thought this was interesting the double whammy for cognition and weight gain in schizophrenia. It just made me happy to find it. I was looking up random stuff on pubmed. Iā€™ve never seen this before.

1 Like

So prebiotics and probiotics are the same thing? I guess if youā€™re depressed and they personally help you with depression, I can see how probiotics can increase intelligence. Maybe make you feel better emotionally.

1 Like

I donā€™t think they are the same thing.

2 Likes

Probiotics are good bacteria you can take through food or supplements. Prebiotics help foster the kind of environment that allows good bacteria to flourish. So you might take prebiotics for your current gut bacteria, or take them with probiotics in order to give the probiotics a better chance of setting up shop in your gut.

6 Likes

Prebiotics and probiotics are not the same thing.

Prebiotics are kinds of fiber that probiotics can use to feed off of.

Also you have to be careful about reading study headlines - like that one that omega 3/DHA was ā€œuselessā€ except they only looked at heart disease and thereā€™s plenty of evidence for other disorders.

As for probiotic pills, yeah, mostly you wonā€™t significantly change your intestinal flora, but a high fiber diet rich in prebiotics can help.

I take a prebiotic called Bimuno.

I linked a blog post from some autism blogger recently on how it was largely pro and pre biotic changes that offered neurological benefit in the ketogenic diet.

Edit: here it is How ketosis and gut bacteria change levels of GABA in the hippocampus

1 Like

I have been drinking those ā€˜Kieferā€™ (drinkable yogurty stuff) for (?) 30 years, not because it was good for me, but because I just like the taste.
Thereā€™s 4 in my fridge right now, russian style, Amish style, greek style and plain.
My fave are the fruit flavors.

Must have mistakenly bought a Sz style one timeā€¦

2 Likes

ive read that too a few days ago lol youre right

2 Likes

@shutterbug this was the best article I couldnā€™t find about probiotics. Yet itā€™s about prebiotics. Fairly close.

I take prebiotic supplements like inulin, FOS, GOS. arabinogalactan (Larch) fiber, acacia fiber, and resistant starches like very green bananas, raw potato starch, etc. And I get my probiotics from things like raw milk kefir. My grandparents own a small farm and we get raw goat milk and raw milk kefir from them. Their goats are so cute. If I lived where I could legally own a goat, I would have one as a pet. I love goats.

1 Like

I have been using prebiotics and probiotics to help with my diverticular disease, but I found that my head runs better when Iā€™m on them as well, thus my curiosity.

2 Likes

Sorry if my comment was incoherent. I just read it again. Thanks for the reply.

Weā€™re all incoherent before our fourth pot of coffee for the day, so no worries.

:blush:

1 Like