Can consuming alcohol cause memory loss?

I once drank heavily and a slight memory loss. Can it be dangerous to consume alcohol in terms of memory loss?

1 Like

Simply put, yes, alcohol can cause memory loss.

2 Likes

But when I drink moderately I am fine. I think the quantity matters.

1 Like

Yes long term consumption of alcohol matters too and so does quantity.

2 Likes

I agree with @Wave

2 Likes

I’ve been drinking heavily 20 years and no memory loss

Look at all the people who make ass’s of themselves while their drunk but forget about it and keep getting drunk.

1 Like

I’m liking as I know I’ve made a ass of myself on here.

1 Like

The father of my maternal great aunt’s 1st husband was an alcoholic who ended up in an asylum, He had severe memory problems. Letters he wrote to his wife clearly illustrated the memory difficulties . Sadly my great aunt’s 1st husband was an also an alcoholic . He died in 1967 at the age of 55.

1 Like

@firemonkey I just read my post and it doesn’t make sense.

I do indeed hate being injected against my will.

Memory loss from alcohol can occur in a few different ways. It is very common for an alcoholic to get blackout drunk and make a total ass of themself at a party. I’ve done that one before. I’ve also woken up in jail not remembering what I did to get put in there. This is a common experience among many alcoholics. AA meetings are full of stories like this. As for long term memory loss, I don’t know. Alcohol probably does cause long term memory loss too.

2 Likes

subjective what an alcoholic is?

I think I’m an alcoholic drinking 3/4 times a week.

I’m in denial. I’m doing myself no favours/ I’m an alcoholic. Disregard my writings.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Have you attended aa?

I’ve heard that the definitive symptoms of alcoholism are personality changes and blackouts.

How much are you drinking?

From first hand experience I’d say it does, at least for some people. But strenght and amount of alcohol matters.

If you drink just like a couple of units a day occassionally I doubt that does any damage.

1 Like

Too much yes, blackout is the worse.

1 Like