Schizophrenia.com

Calling all Led Zeppelin fans

About their fourth album.

THE BACKSTORY: Their first three albums had simple, sensible titles: Led Zeppelin, II, III.
When it came time for number four, in November 1971, they stripped things down even further, refusing to print a single word anywhere on the record sleeve, not even their own names, apparently in hopes of causing confusion among the hated rock press. “After all we had accomplished, the press was still calling us a hype,” Page said. “So that is why the fourth album was untitled.” Naturally, this created some confusion – and it infuriated Atlantic Records. The band did include four symbols on the cover, one that represented each group member. Page’s symbol seemed to spell out “Zoso.”

THE TRUTH: Page insists the symbols aren’t even letters, although that hasn’t stopped people from referring to the album as Zoso (or Zeppelin IV). Technically the album is untitled.

4 Likes

I don’t have an backstory or cool behind the scenes info about Led Zeppelin, but as a fan I love this post. Led Zeppelin IV is one amazing album. I do love Physical Graffiti, but my very favorite song of all time for a rainy city like mine is of course

when the levee breaks

3 Likes

Excellent song, I used to blast it on my 8 track in my '64 Station Wagon.
Do you know they are being sued now for allegedly plagiarizing the intro to “Stairway to Heaven”?
I saw Led Zeppelin live in 1977.

1 Like

I’ve never been a big Led Zep fan but I do really like “Immigrant Song”. Here’s a very good cover from Trent Reznor, Karen O, and Atticus Ross. It was featured in the movie “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”.

3 Likes

Yeah, good cover…

I just looked up the law suit. That song came out in 1971, that’s 43 years ago. Why are they brining it up now I wonder?

@Malvok I also like the “Immigrant Song” that is a fun one to blast at times.

The vinyl version is so much better then any I-tunes remix. There are just some songs were the vinyl is better. Led Zeppelin 1 is great in vinyl. “Good Times Bad Times” is another song that makes me jump around the house.

John Bonham one of the most powerful drummers of all time - I was a big fan, and they were my number 1 rock group in the day - they were replaced by the Cult as my number 1 - I love Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, Immigrant Song, Communication Breakdown - the list goes on … John Paul Jones what a bassist as well - Well we all know about Jimmy and Robert - what a talented group, raw and powerful

1 Like

Kidsister. Supposedly, the members of the band that Led Zeppelin (allegedly) stole it from could not afford to bring a lawsuit until now. That’s what I read anyhow.

As far as drumming, who can forget Bonzo’s Montreux off of Coda.

Wow. That’s another one I can dance to over and over. I’ve never heard any other drummer come close to that.

Neal Pert from Rush, maybe. But Bonzo’s Montreaux is the only reason I bought Coda. And then I heard the most bluesy version of “I can’t quit you baby” also on Coda.

1 Like

I hate to say it, but I’ve never heard of them until just this second. I just looked them up on Youtube. If I’m looking at the band you mean, “She sells Sanctuary” and “fire woman”? Wow. I think I just found a new band to get bit excited about.

Thank you for expanding my musical education

1 Like

I love, love, love the song “Fire Woman”.

2 Likes

I just hit “purchase” Fire Woman off I-tunes. I will now expand my musical education. So far, Wow.

1 Like

I am glad you are showing an interest in them kidsister! I am a huge fan of the Cult - Billy Duffy is no Jimmy Page, but he is a pretty good guitarist in his own right - and I really dig Ian Astbury the lead singer - check out the song Rain, Nirvana ( I posted before) and check out all of the songs on the Love album and their Electric album - their older stuff -

1 Like

Wow thats pretty cool @Malvok I did not know you were a fan - yeah I love Fire Woman too and Sun King

Thank you for the info. I will definitely check out the recommendations.

I was wondering, am I the only Iron Maiden Fan around?

I am sorry to say I never got into Iron Maiden, but I did admire Bruce Dickinson’s powerful voice

1 Like

I’m a huge Iron Maiden fan, been so for decades. My favorite album is “Live After Death”.

Here’s a sweet cover of “Hallowed Be Thy Name”, one of my favorites, by Cradle of Filth.

1 Like

“Live after Death” is amazing. Another one on vinyl.

I know it’s not that popular by some, but I do like “Powerslave” Love “Killers” and “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son”

I heard an amazing version of “Sanctuary” by Bruce that got me hooked. But I also love Paul Di’anno version of “Running Free”

I screamed aloud to the old man
I said don’t lie, don’t say you don’t know
I say you’ll pay for this mischief
In this life or the next
Oh, and then he fixed me with a freezing glance
And the hell fires raged in his eyes
He said, do you want to know the truth son
I’ll tell you the truth
Your soul’s gonna burn in the lake of fire

1 Like

Can I play with madness.

The song is still great. Bruce is one of my favorite vocalist.

It’s hard to believe that the teacher in the video is Graham Chapman. He died shortly after filming this.