Bored with no motivation

Man all they watched was TNT movies when I was in the psych ward. The same movies over and over. I couldn’t watch TV though. I didn’t have enough focus

Can you watch its shows for free?

No it costs 7$ a month or something. I just use my social security money. I don’t spend it on anything anyway and I live with my parents. Best $7 I ever spent. Gold Rush, deadliest catch, last frontier. I love the discovery channel

2 Likes

I’ve been doing neurofeedback and that has helped me. When you lose the bored feeling, at least some of your motivation comes back(in my experience).

What is neurofeedback

It’s basically where they put a cap with a series of electrodes on top of your head and measure your brain waves. There are 4 frequencies they measure, and depending on how well they do determines how well you are doing in certain parts of your your brain. After that you talk to the Neurofeedback Therapist, and you guys determine a plan out of what you want out of it. During your sessions, you usually wear a couple probes on top of your head at the places where your trying to improve. During that time you usually watch a movie that dims or brightens depending on if your brainwaves are getting a desired result. Each session is 30-60 minutes depending on what technology they use. You usually see results in between 8-12 sessions. After about 20, you do a rescan and go over the results with the therapist. Then basically you go on from there

1 Like

Sounds expensive. I don’t think I’ll be trying that. I’m hoping my doctor ups my antidepressants. I was on Wellbutrin and had a lot more motivation and focus. I was working out everyday. I had so much energy. But the side effect was I couldn’t sleep. Now I’m on cymbalta and I’m right back to where I started. Don’t really feel like doing anything. The doctor said we could try upping the dose next month. So I’m hoping that makes the difference

2 Likes

This is me all over.

If I force myself to do things, I generally do them, but it takes a lot for me to actually get started much of the time

2 Likes

I wonder if this forum didn’t exist, if I’d be more productive.

3 Likes

I have the same problem. I will think about doing something artistic or play a video game or do chores and most of the time I just sit staring off into space thinking “well I could/should do this…” and literally am like blocked from doing it. If I force myself to sit down and do things (I use to enjoy) I loose interest very fast (5-10 mins) and then it seems like work and not fun. And I go back to literally sitting in silence for hours.

5 Likes

Damn. I feel the same way. I go to do something and immediately get bored.

Its the dopamine blockade by meds, I wish I could stop this poison. My psychiatrist told me some patients get negative symptoms from meds while others don’t, we have different body chemistry and different reactions to meds.

5 Likes

I have tv on 24/7. Sometimes I watch YouTube, but that became boring too. So I’m either laying in bed or at my desk smoking some cigarettes and browsing this site or YouTube.

I rarely watch Twitch anymore. I can not get myself up to do anything else, every couple weeks or days, depents on mood, I play some games, but really short. The best I made was when I played WoW for 45 minutes. Now I can’t get myself to play anything. Because I get paranoia outside when I go for a walk or to do groceries shopping, I stay at home in my room 95% of time.

Yes, this is me to a tee. Bored with no motivation to do anything about it. And even when I do try to do something about it, I’m still bored.

1 Like

I usually do things that are easy and don’t require attention like watching tv, staring at ceiling etc. But I also read a lot. My cognitives are very good

1 Like

lol. That made me laugh that you would include that as an activity. :smiley:

1 Like

Lol yes. It’s something that helps passing time

1 Like

when i was in first psych ward i bounced a tennis ball, that i had found somewhere, against the wall and back… nobody complained about it… but now i can imagine it can have been annoying for the person in the neighboring room…

Voices being negative take away my motivation.

1 Like

I’m just reading technical news to stay up-to-date. Its boring but necessary.

1 Like