Bipolar 1 w/ psychosis

If I get bouts of paranoia I honestly think it could be schizophrenia.

Paranoia such as now that I’ve told my colleagues about my illness … they see me differently. They don’t like me the same. They feel sorry for me. Or they think I’m crazy. I’m not wanted at my job.

However I kind of know I’m being irrational a lot of the time.

Does this sound like psychosis ?

1 Like

I tell no one my condition…just because of what you are experiencing…

People still think schizophrenia is multiple personalities. So, the average public is not qualified to understand my illness

1 Like

I know what you are saying , however I disclosed it before I got the job. But I told my colleagues because i felt humiliated when I cried at my desk and felt the need to explain.

Also the fact that I seem to be fine some days and not others … it’s difficult to explain. My moods are up and down I’m never depressed consistently.

Doesnt seem sufficient to be psychosis imo but I relate to everything you’re saying and I have schizoaffective. When I’m in a mixed episode (right now) my moods change daily and I could one day think I’m God and immortal and next day think I’m dead or have cycling thoughts of suicide. Stuff like that.

1 Like

My current diagnosis is bipolar 1 disorder.
I frequently experience paranoia and my psychiatrist told me that people with bipolar will commonly experience bouts of paranoia.
According to her it’s quite common for bipolar patients to experience paranoia.

2 Likes

I have those same fears and don’t tell many people about my diagnosis or what I deal with… I don’t think it’s paranoia though because it’s a rational fear (that people will look at you differently when they know what your diagnosis is) People are genuinely ignorant, petty, fearful, but then in some cases also kind. You can reasonably expect people to react, in good and bad ways, when hearing this about you.
I was fairly recently moved to a different school for work. I haven’t told anyone there, but five people at my previous location know about me.
Being discreet and understanding human weaknesses is not paranoia.

2 Likes

But doesn’t that happen in extreme mania phases and extreme depressive phases…? I don’t know i just think i am going to keep my distance from my colleagues from now on as much as i can.

1 Like

According to my doctor the paranoia can occur in normal mood states as well.

2 Likes

That sounds more like schizoaffective to me but I’m no doctor

3 Likes

Thank you for this information @Wave. I didn’t know this.

2 Likes

Paranoia can be very subtle. It can be you questioning things like why did they say those particular words…or why they looked at me that way. My paranoia often isn’t about the government out to get me…it’s often little things about conversations or interactions.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if it’s still mania if you dont experience much change in sleep habits? Or maybe even sleeping more? I believe I’m in a mixed episode but I am sleeping more, but some days when I’m more manic I sleep a bit less.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.