Before onset of SZ I knew sth is wrong. I self medicated. Who did that as well?

Hi everybody, since my PTSD in 2003 (I was 19 y old then) I had a constant feeling that sth is wrong with me until I developed full blown psychosis in 2012. But a funny thing is that during my 2 last years as a normie I self medicated with 3 let’s say methods of treating my deficits that later on were shown to improve schizophrenia symptoms. I mean I did:

1. N-Acetylocysteine
  2. Non invasive electric brain stimulation
  3. Oxytocin Nasal spray

As I say I completely didnt know I will develop SZ then. I was 27 when I started to hear voices. I informed my shrink (child psychiatrist) what I used to do but she gave up and she even didnt comment that. I don’t do it now although maybe I should.

I think it helped me then.

Who else self medicated before ilness and with what kind of staff? :slight_smile: Did it work for you?

1 Like

I am self medicating by cutting my dose of aps into halves…!!! I am soon going off respridal…

4 Likes

Did I ever self medicate with alcohol. I give alcohol at least a little blame for causing my schizophrenia. I drank insanely. Now I’m taking L-Theanine. I’m going to have to think carefully about that one, for a number of reasons.

2 Likes

I mean I drunk alcohol as well but only at the parties or to keep company. Not as a self medication. Alcohol seems to be a silly thing to self medicate… Hope L-Theanine helps you though!

P.s. I know, my self medications were also rather irresponsible (were not sure about right dosages) -_-

When i was in between 15 and 24 i drank.a lot, was using weed and shrooms and was promiscuous. I didn’t get diagnosed til i was 35. I knew there was something not.right with me.

I self-medicated with Piracetam in 2012-2013, it really annihilated my negative symptoms to where I went travelling to foreign countries on a whim, and I was totally comfortable in a social setting (felt like an alpha male, was rarely at a loss for words), but it made me hypomanic. In moderation it might have been okay, but I abused it, and too much of a good thing (NMDA receptor upregulation) eventually caused me to develop positive schizophrenic symptoms.

2 Likes

Not sure if I was self-medicating in my prodomal phase or just a freakin’ addict. Booze, weed, uppers as mainstays, shrooms, poppers and some E! mixed in occasionally. These days I self-medicate with green tea and the police are polite to me when they see me.

3 Likes

I self-medicated with alcohol and drugs (weed, acid) for a while. Before that, I just kinda buried everything and hoped none of it would surface and tried not to think about it.

1 Like

No nothing of that sort.
But I somehow suspected something was off years before full blown paranoia. I often had trouble coping with stressful situations and masturbated excessively as a result. Silly me :grin:

It was many times worse than silly. It was insane.

Mostly alcohol and caffeine, cigarettes

Binge drinking, cigarettes and hookah, and promiscuous sex. Arguably the latter was the worst - hated every second but some part of me kept pursuing it.

Anxiety from monster drinks.
Extremely Self centered.

Extremely lazy and fearful I guess. Cognitive decline and stress.

nothing. I was running races, and had the best year, it was all prodromal, cuz the next year I was psychotic.

I used to take a lot of marajuana and nutmeg. Both I believe were terrible for me.

When I dropped my meds, I self medicated with marijuana and cigarettes. Dumbest decision on my end.

hey buddiiieeeee :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t do drugs to combat my symptoms, I used drugs because they got me high. But I learned my lesson about drugs the hard way, I became an addict in the late '80’s.
I got clean in 1990.

3 Likes

How did you self treat w electric brain stimulation?!

I didn’t self medicate but I did act as my own therapist for quite some time. Did a huge amount of psychoanalysis on myself. A lot a lot of journaling.