Are you sensitive?

My friend who’s a sza addict and struggles a lot is very sensitive, except on the other hand he has no filter. He’ll say offensive stuff and I’ll just shrug it off. And I’ll say something 1/10th as offensive, but he’ll get really offended. I used to be real sensitive till I got put on the right meds, now I’ll still stand up for myself…but mostly shrug stuff off 75% of the time. I have a much thicker skin now, much thicker than he does. Well he struggles a lot but wondering if this a sza and or addict trait or just him? Just let me understand it better plz.

6 Likes

In fact being overly sensitive to what family and friends do and say, is a symptom of schizophrenia. I was like that but meds more or less sorted that for me too.

5 Likes

Yeah I used to be so dam sensitive but meds have straightened it out for me. It’s a past thing though so it’s hard for me to understand truly, really. Even though I used to be that way too… thanks.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sensitive. I used to have a tougher mind set as a kid though.

2 Likes

I am way too sensitive.
But can dish it out when need be.

2 Likes

yeah especially during psychosis it is a disaster. Took me a year to travel here :unamused:
I am sensitive though very to environments, heat, words, tension.

1 Like

Really was a sad guy for a long time, but not as sensitive as I used to be.

2 Likes

As Sia said: I’ve got thick skin and an elastic heart.

2 Likes

you’re still sensitive underneath. wait till you get some real-deal compassion from a romantic interest. you’ll dissolve into tears.

2 Likes

I am very sensitive, probably why I take everything so personal when my father in law says mean things

I’m a sensitive guy, but I don’t get butt hurt too easily. Certain things get to me, though.

1 Like

I told one of my psychologists that I thought I was too sensitive and he asked me to consider that I might not be sensitive enough – not having enough sensitivity to have empathy for others, not having the sensibility to feel my own feelings enough to stay out of trouble with excesses, not sensitive to my own likes and dislikes enough to choose things that would make me happy. I learned that it was not just black and white but situational. Sometimes I was being too sensitive and other times I was not being sensitive enough.

Also part of sensitivity is having empathy for yourself.

I’m sensitive to certain topics,words,statements,etc. If my mom is telling someone about my schizophrenia, she’ll say something along the lines of “he’s psychotic.” and I’ll get offended because the word “psychotic” has an extreme label on it in societies dictionary… I mean, I don’t accept the label in the first place, but I know it is what it is… If that makes any sense at all. But yanno, other things like “how’s the weather up there?” or “You should shrink a little.” are all fuses for me. I can’t stand it. But I’ve learned to just keep my mouth shut and smile. But that’s just me. I know there are some things I should change, but it’s a lot harder than it seems to me.

5 Likes

I call my illness
The Affliction of Sensitivities

1 Like

One things that gets to me is when I hear normals refer to people with MI as “crazies,” “loonies,” “nuts,” etc. Or calling a hospital psych unit “the looney bin” or some similar term. That ■■■■ makes my blood boil. So yeah, perhaps I’m being too sensitive, but they have no business using those words. :rage:

2 Likes

:sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: noooooooo you’re killing me

In what context do you mean by “sensitive”?

You aren’t wrong about it being painful. If you want to take that away from yourself, you’re going to have a hard damned time explaining what happened to all that hope. I’ll see it in your eyes again. I know it. Now get up,. I’ve put clean sheets on the bed . . . . . .

:slight_smile:
You’ll find him. Don’t give up.

1 Like

I can count on my stepfather to insult me. It hurts for a brief moment and then it doesn’t. I usually remember what he said, but I don’t hold it against him. What he says is usually true, but he would do better if he didn’t insult me. I don’t insult him, but I think badly of him a lot. So, he speaks his mind and I don’t. He wins in the end. I know he loves me. He shows up my faults. I think badly of him. He wins in the end. I just choose not to insult people, although I DO think badly of them. I’m hurt either way.

1 Like