Are we ready for a name change for schizophrenia?

ABCD - Amplified Batshit Crazy Disorder

2 Likes

You read my mind. Whenever Iā€™m asked about my mental health I always tell them that I enjoy torturing small animals. It works!

2 Likes

They should classify it as a brain diesease and put emphasis on the ā€˜brainā€™ .people are more empathetic to physical diesease and as long as they know its a brain diease, theyd be more understanding of the crazy ā– ā– ā– ā–  people do, just like the crazy shiit people do with alzeihmers

2 Likes

Agreed.

I think thereā€™s a definite neurological component to this illness that affects us psychologically-- much like Alzheimers or Parkinsonā€™s. Hell, even Lupus.

The brain is still very much a mystery to scientists and health professionals, and the field of psychiatry is still nascent in comparison to how long SZ has been present in mankind.

2 Likes

Yes, its english translation of dementia praecox would read ā€œpremature dementiaā€ Not very flattering either. They changed it because some improved and got well. Dementia is not something that improves.

I donā€™t like the word schizophrenia. What exactly is a split mind and do people really have that?

2 Likes

I feel my mind is split. Iā€™m like 2 people. And it arises from self doubt.

And that has caused my psychosis

So it fits me perfectly

I disagree. I think changing the name from manic depression to bipolar increased the stigma associated with that disorder. And I believe that the bipolar medication commercials also increased the stigma associated with that disorder as well, unfortunately.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree @SkinnyMe

1 Like

Well, Kanye West did do a lot to glamorize bipolar I must admit.

2 Likes

@77nick77 , I swear, you crack me up every time! I canā€™t stop laughing!!!

1 Like

I donā€™t think soā€¦ it is a kind of split mind after allā€¦ and itā€™s well know so most people know itā€™s no jokeā€¦

It might be better to leave the name as it is. People need to know that they should take this illness seriously. Itā€™s a very serious disease that needs a very serious name.

1 Like

it is just a name. In fact there are many theories for the origin of it, so if you dont know the origin how will you name it? It could be dopamine, it was the mother for a while, it could be our brain creating mescaline, there is the glutamine theory too.

1 Like

i think it is glutamate, not glutamine

@Wave , Neither Bipolar nor Psychotic depression would apply to me as I no longer get mood swings and I havenā€™t been depressed in the last 17 years. So, we canā€™t call it those names.

1 Like

@SkinnyMe

Would you consider yourself in remission - still taking meds right?

I am very happy to say that for the most part, yes, I am more and more in remission every day. And I do take all my meds as prescribed @Kxev .

2 Likes

I personally prefer ā€œconditionā€ over ā€œdisorderā€

1 Like

I think Frenia sounds quite cute.

1 Like