Are we ready for a name change for schizophrenia?

Lol how about crazy syndrome? That’s pretty progressive… :laughing::sweat_smile::joy:

4 Likes

I’m warming up more and more to the idea. For several reasons.

1. The name does not reflect the symptoms
  2. The name sounds too medical, which gives the impression that we struggle with things no one else does and are beyond repair
  3. The name is strange, which gives the impression that we can’t be understood
  4. The stigma. A new name won’t remove the stigma, but a better and more descriptive name might help somewhat

It’s not very important to me but I think they should change it.

2 Likes

Schizophrenia doesn’t apply to me but schizoaffective, one of my diagnoses sounds just as ridiculous.

1 Like

I don’t see the point in changing it personally. They changed manic-depressive to bipolar and it made no difference in my mind. Manic-depressive was actually a more descriptive term. I don’t care much either way honestly though, but would prefer not to substitute a new name and just cause confusion.

2 Likes

I remember in the old days getting diagnosed with manic depression then it was changed to bipolar.
The stigma is much less now.
I don’t know how much of it was due to the name change though.

There is lots of stigma surrounding schizo disorders but I think that the stigma is also lessening a bit.
Maybe the commercials on TV have something to do with it.

2 Likes

We should call it “Prince” because whatever we call it, in everybody’s mind it will still be the illness formerly known as schizophrenia.

6 Likes

I half agree with you. Being something of a hellenophiliac -I did not study classical Greek at school- I sort of agree with @Om_Sadasiva about the schizophrenia’s beautiful etymology.

1 Like

Subjective reality syndrome
Pathological imagination
Reality obfuscatory condition
Enigmatic psychology
Others
Such as
Chronic indirect realism
Direct realism antagonistic disorder

@dividedself I like the last 2 quite a bit.

1 Like

Sorry, “Karl” my brother (with a K) is already taken - for a person with chronic Amphetamine Psychosis - he was in about 24/7 amphetamine psychosis for 12 yrs not kidding, now he has a handler and is court ordered to never be prescribed any type of stimulants

I don’t think it would help. They renamed leprosy as Hansen’s disease but people go “what’s that” - oh it’s leprosy

I’m personally against the name schizophrenia, for a few reasons. 1 is that I dont think a eugenicist would give that name with good intentions for those who have the illness 2 is that a eugenicist named it which is like taking a name that your bully calls you at school 3 eugenics is pretty much crap in every way 4 szs are probably the most powerless group in the world for a variety of reasons, and it would be nice to see some show of power from them in a positive name change 5 the name is based on an incorrect theory 6 its misleading about the nature of the illness 7 ugly name 8 not all those with the illness have the same symptoms so the name should reflect the common ground or a spectrum maybe

1 Like

Mental torture sounds a good name. It’s straight to the point.

2 Likes

Crazyphrenia is less stigmatizing :grinning:

3 Likes

I like “altered perception disorder” because it describes my own illness so well but not sure if it does for others

1 Like

I support a name change. I am sick of people using the word schizophrenia all the time without knowing what the mental illness is. The general public, Hollywood, average people use it to develop horrible dangerous characters for movies and the public uses schizo casually as a slur to say someone is crazy when they have no clue schizophrenia isn’t being crazy. Not sure if I’m making any sense.

1 Like

Yeah, we’ll call it wife beater because that will have less stigma.

5 Likes

I think I once read it used to be called dementia praecox?

3 Likes

“Don’t go near that guy, he’s prince!”

1 Like

This exactly

1 Like