Anyone schizotypal?

I was just wondering things like about your hallucinations, paranoia, cognitive, sleep, anxiety, social habits, hobbies, daily activity level, moods, meds, motivation, etc. Tell me about yourself.

I have BP1 w/ psychosis, schizotypal, GAD.

Sizotypal is only one I don’t understand. No one really explain much to me about it so I have to search the internet which is pointless. My team works hard with me me with my struggles but when I have questions they are half answered in a short sentence and brushes off. Leaves me feeling clinical with a bunch of medical jargon from research.

1 Like

According to google

Schizotypal personality disorder is in the middle of a spectrum of related disorders, with schizoid personality disorder on the milder end and schizophrenia on the more severe end.

2 Likes

My understanding of it is thinking of it like Aspergers is to Autism.

I know that might be controversial as they don’t use those terms anymore, but that’s how I understand it.

More like traits and stuff

1 Like

Ty. I didn’t read that before so I didn’t know that but I did read that I have a higher risk of getting Sz in the future so I try to do everything I can. My level of functioning has deteriorated rapidly since 5 years ago but diag w BP 9 yrs so it started then. That is the most distressing thing I can handle everything else but I am another person. Considering the TMS and ECT I was offered but wondering if people with schizotypal had that and if it helped. I read schizotypal can have low motivation so don’t know if it’s that, or depression that doesn’t make me sad, or the APs. Or if it’s all in my head. Or if I’m unhealthy… Sorry thinking out loud.
Is there anyone with schizotypal on this forum?

1 Like

Ok I didn’t know that either. I am considered a bit odd and I have social anxiety etc so I could see that. I think I come across that way. I have a friend with Asperger’s and I have noticed we are alike with posture, eye contact etc. Ty @Joker

That’s ok. I know what it’s like to be left in the dark.

It took me two years to really understand what Schizophrenia was after diagnosis, and I cut contact with services so I had no one to help me understand it.

Just remember, if you know what your weaknesses are, you can work on them to make them less of a problem

1 Like

Exactly having that knowledge does help. The more I understand the harder I work. The less I know the more I worry. I think I am going to have the TmS or ECT maybe it will reset my brain the way it was and I don’t have to deal with any of this. I could be done with all this crap and worrying @Joker

I was diagnosed with schizotypal before sz onset. As already pointed out by others, schizotypal is just a milder version of schizophrenia.

2 Likes

I thought schizotypal is a personality disorder associated with schizophrenia, not a milder form like you all are saying. Like, you could have both.

Schizotypal personality disorder (STPD), or schizotypal disorder, is a mental disorder characterized by severe social anxiety, thought disorder, paranoid ideation, derealization, transient psychosis and often unconventional beliefs.

I fit all this sometimes.

1 Like

The current trend Outside the US is to regard schizotypal disorder as not being a personality disorder.

2 Likes

Yeah, Artsygal, i’m a danish guy, diagnosed with schizotypal disorder, and i just been to my doc, and even though she is sweet and competent, I hate to see my self described in clinical terms. I havent got that much hallucinations, but i see “pictures” in my head very strong, and sometimes have slightly desillusion, a mistrust, not frank paranoia. Some invasive thougths.

Sleep is strange with af lot of night terrors and pleasant dreams mixed together. Social anxiety. My mood is constant changing from splendid to depressed. Some motivation to do things im interested in, long periods, days with no motivation at alle.

You’re not alone… we are not alone, even though we are kind of aliens :innocent:

1 Like

@NotSeksoEmpirico …you were schizotypal first? What changed for you? What did you notice differently re change of diagnosis? Can you please tell me what that looked like? Ty

Have you tried a combo of a weak 2 generation Ap and a strong Ad? I was trying a lot of drugs, before i got some relief and known other schizotypals that are a mess without drugs (legal Ap & Ad, of course)

1 Like

Oh well, I guess it’s all opinion and trends then. I think it is a personality disorder.

1 Like

@BrianTex
Lots of those fit me too. There’s some that dont. I feel like I don’t fit into any box anyhow… I read it was on the spectrum but I’m not in the U.S.

1 Like

Thanks that helps a lot. I know no one with this.
When did you develop it? Was there a stressor?
Do you feel paranoia all the time now? Did your delusions stay after antipsychotics?
Yeah it is a odd alien way to be :slight_smile:
Did you have to stop working? I struggle with even taking a shower and I used to be extremely smart.
Ty for connecting

I can’t take antidepressants because I get manic or mixed episodes. That the first time I got sick. I have BP1. Well just one main AP (Abilify 15) at the moment and one Risperidal very little dose. Now prescribing TMS and if I don’t get into that program I go for ECT because I feel stuck all the time with no motivation and no passion I used to have. Maybe depression they aren’t sure. Hoping that helps me not feel so deadened. It’s crippling at times
I am on Abilify, Risperidal, Lamotrigine, Lithium, Modafinil, Vyvanse.

Good to talk with another alien!

I had a bad childhood, and a lot of psychiatric heritage in my family, so i always remember myself as strange and misplaced.

Stressors are really bad, and dont always notice them before it’s to late.

No i dont feel reel paranoia, but i always think about why people are smiling at me, or if my neighbors are annoyed of my presence, loud noises etc.

I still work, but its difficult, I have got 10 hours a week, the rest is a kind of disability advantage (Dk is a welfare state).

What does Ty means for connection?

Oh Ty means: thank you. I appreciate you connecting. :slight_smile: @bluebutterfly

1 Like

Perhaps im having mixed episodes as well? But then i prefer it to being depressed

I cant take normal antidepressant, they dont work or i get worse anxiety… im on a very old and problematic mao-Inhibitor called Isocarboxide and 10 mg of abilify. They use that combo to treatment resistant depression.

1 Like