Any piano lovers on the forum?

Ever since I heard beethovens moonlight sonata a few years ago I’ve been on and off obsessed with classical music. I got myself a digital piano a while ago and have been learning a couple songs from tutorials on YouTube. I can play about one third of moonlight sonata and a few other little bits and peices of some other peices. But even though I can play some music I have no idea how to read sheet music or even know what most of the keys are called by heart. I think I need to start from scratch. It’s just that I don’t know where to begin. And I definitely don’t have the money or social aptitude to learn from a face to face teacher. I’m considering trying to learn from a proper beginning using books and apps. Any tips from a piano enthusiast on here? Or even just comment which composers you like and what peices.

6 Likes

ayyyy happy cakeday!!! i love piano and music in general, though i cant play i make music on my virtual program called FL studio. i can share what i made today if you want

4 Likes

@ThePoet cool yeah sure.

2 Likes

lol okay ill upload it to youtube quickly. its nothing complex just a 2 bar loop. anyways hope you can create something and share it too

I (try) to play my digital piano almost everyday. I’ve been playing for the last 15 years but because of Risperdal Consta shots, I sound like I’ve only been playing for a couple of months. It’s truly pathetic.

5 Likes

@SkinnyMe oh I’m sure your being too self critical about that.

1 Like

I can play the piano and read note scores. Moonlight sonata (1st movement) is one of my favorites too. I took lessons with a teacher for about 6 years as a kid / pre-teen. I wish I hadn’t stopped so quickly. But my parents couldn’t afford to buy me a new piano and the old one had become unusable. As an adult I eventually bought a digital piano and right now I practice at my own pace (15 minutes a day on average).

1 Like

I can play a little.

I haven’t tried in years.

Took lessons as a kid because I was inheriting a grand piano.

Ends up I’m no good at piano and I don’t have room for the piano that was given to me.

So it sits in storage and my skills diminish.

2 Likes

She’s being too hard on herself. Her repertoire is commendable. She has also composed a few songs.

1 Like

@Andrey nice work. I have been trying to practice fur Elise all day today from a youtube tutorial. So friken difficult haha.

3 Likes

3 Likes

@ThePoet it would be funny if she didnt

1 Like

The intro is easier. Then it gets slightly more difficult, I agree. Keep at it. The secret is to focus on melody rather than technique. When the ears know what to expect, fingers will follow. Also, try to practice slow-motion at least once before going to bed at night. Sleep consolidates recent memory.

3 Likes

hey i would appreciate if you could give me some pointers on making better piano melodies. i dont play but i produce music on a program. i posted a quick 30 second loop up above. how do you think i can improve it? or impove in composing in general. what can you say about it? do you think its stiff?

1 Like

If it’s me you’re asking? I just listened to your piece on soundcloud. It’s good. I have only tried my hand at composing twice. My compositions were met with mixed reactions. Someone more generous said they sounded like Yann Tiersen :blush:
I don’t know what your software looks like but it might help if you studied basic harmony.
Check out this youtube channel for insightful resources:

2 Likes

wow thanks hmmm… studying harmony sounds like a good idea. i usually just do it by ear. last music lesson i had was grade 8 when i got a 47 or something in music haha. funny thing is im a music producer now haha

1 Like

Very much so. I’m in love with the works of Ludovico Einaudi. I play a keyboard badly and a keytar even more badly, but it’s fun and keeps me busy.

3 Likes

Can you play comptine d’un autre été by Yann Tiersen? Beautiful song, only song I practiced enough to be able to play on the piano in full lol

@ThePoet The piano sounds good man! Kinda atypical in terms of the harmony, but its cool that way. Conventional musicians tend to get stuck in a rut if they focus on theory too much, I know I do.

So its cool that its kinda out of the box! Might make adding a melody more difficult tho, unless you dont mind some mild dissonance

3 Likes

I love Jerry Lee Lewis, my dad grew up listening to him and got me into him. He is a wicked awesome piano player. He is getting older now, He is in his 80’s now so he can’t play like he use to but here is a special he did a few years ago, I’ve watched this concert several times.

And here is a guy playing for Jerry Lee Lewis, in Jerry’s style, for Jerry’s 85th birthday, very impressive

1 Like

thanks a lot man well like they say learn all the rules and then break them lol. i think everyone the “formally educated vs informally educated” musician debate is an illusion haha at the end of the day education is education wherever you get it from. Id love to boost up the BRO-musician or informally educated producer gang but…haha at the end of the day even if its dubstep your listening to everything has note progressions

idk im rambling haha

i think i could benefit from a bit of formal education tbh. i think you can learn a lot from google and exploration but it can leave gaps in your education.

oh and i love dissonance hahasometimes my only goal is to find disonance haha love it

2 Likes