An Asian study on clinical and psychological factors associated with personal recovery in people with psychosis

The concept of recovery in mental health has been re-examined, and recent developments have revealed two non-synonymous recovery constructs: clinical recovery (objective state, i.e., symptoms, functioning) and personal recovery (subjective process, i.e., attitude or life orientation) [1,2,3,4]. Findings from a previous study with 381 service users substantiate the importance of personal recovery, as it was found that the highest level of consensus on the definition of recovery was “recovery is the achievement of a personally acceptable quality of life” and “recovery is feeling better about yourself” [5]. Therefore, this angle of recovery may only be assessable by the individuals themselves and may approximate us to a more holistic definition of recovery. Moreover, personal recovery impacts the quality of life of individuals with schizophrenia [6], and a reduction in psychiatric symptoms alone does not necessarily translate into higher personal recovery [7, 8]. Hence, it may be essential to consider personal recovery in the evaluation of overall recovery in people with psychosis.

I’m wondering if I might say something. I was talking to my bestest friend with aspergers and sz. He struggles, too, with ordinary tasks. He went on to say that he keeps trying. He’s come a long way.

I encourage you to keep trying. Things will get better, the more you practice them.

Oh, yeah, Tim says Hi to you.

1 Like

Personal recovery is more important than clinical recovery they actually needed a research paper to come to that conclusion?

I’m sorry. I don’t get what you’re saying?

All the research is saying is that its more important if the schzophrenic feels they have recovered and are happier with their progress than if the psychiatry tests measure them as having recovered.

Okay. Gotcha. I probably should have started a new thread. Take care.

No worries it qouted your text instead of the original posters

Cool, cool. I’ve found there are 2 types of aspergers… 1 that makes excuses for why they can’t do things, and those who try to stabilize and work each day on themselves.

Take care. Thanks for the feedback!

Say hi to him from me. I wonder with me whether the saying “It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks” applies. I do think the earlier you get appropriate help the more you’re going to see improvements .

He’s in his mid 50s, but was dx with aspergers as a child. California USA has programs for persons with sz and aspergers. They strive to keep them independent of others… they send out workers nearly every day.

Because I understand how difficult to express honest emotions, when he shares, sometimes I feel so proud. He tries so hard.

Take care, Fire. I’ll tell him you said Hi. :blush: